Is it safe for my 1 year old to take, CHLORPHENIRAMINE-PE-DM SYRUP, for a cold?

well my doctor prescribed it but i dont really trust him. and my mom has been tellin me that he shouldnt be takin it. n the medicine says its for kids 6 n over, n a whole bunch of warnings. he has to take 1/2 a tablespoon every six hours. What shoul I do??

Cristy-1208

Asked by Cristy-1208 at 1:08 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Do not give that to him!!! :) You're right to not trust that. Children should not be given cold medicine, especially kids that small. He's over one? Give him a spoon full of honey to help his cough, and some warm water with lemon and honey will help his throat feel better. Some essential oils - eucalyptus is good - rubbed onto his chest will help with congestion.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 1:15 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I sure hope you're looking for a new doctor. Not a good sign that you don't trust him...
    Anonymous

• if you do not trust your doctor then you need to find a new one now and take your child to see them asap!
    SuzanneL09

Answer by SuzanneL09 at 1:39 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• If your doctor said it was fine then it's fine. The danger in people using cold medicine in children under 2 years is that people don't ask their doctor the right dose... they just guess and they end up over dosing their child.
    If the dose has been calculated for your son you shouldn't have any troubles with it.
    But if you don't want to use it... then don't. It's not like it "cures" anything.
    Chlorpheniramine is an antihistamine... kind of like benadryl
    DM is Dextromethorphan and it's for cough and is a non-sedative
    PE- is Phenelephrine and it's a decongestant
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:46 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• i agree with ami although if you do not trust your childs dr then its time to find a new one plan and simple
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 2:19 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Have you tried other things like a humidifier, warm bath, essential oils? I would not give my toddlers cold medicine ever, especially if I didn't trust him. I would always ask the pharmacist any questions regarding medications instead of a doctor anyway, since that is there specialty.
    squish

Answer by squish at 9:58 PM on Dec. 22, 2009