How do you get liquid medicine down your toddler? Mine just spits it out...she needs about 4 teaspoons twice a day and I'm guessing 3/4 of it ends up everywhere except her belly when she spits it out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe disguise it in juice or something like that?? I not really sure yet my son is only 1 and he hasnt been sick yet.
    Cappy1979

Answer by Cappy1979 at 1:28 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I dont, i dont use over the counter or prescribed medicines because in our house we use natural remedies to get rid of a cough, flu, cold, sneezing, sore throat, headaches etc. there is no need to shove down toxins and chemicals down a childs body. And if your wondering why is it sold in stores and the doctor/pedi aproves of it well let me say this. Just because something is sold at a drug store/market does not mean its okay to ingest. I use elderberry syrup for when i had a flu in oct, vitamin d2, vitamin c, hot tea, lemon, honey, ginger etc.
    Anonymous

• Use a small dropper, and place it against the cheek in the mouth, aiming the medicine down the throat. It goes straight down, and they can't spit it out. Disguising it also works.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:29 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• i meant Vitamin D3*
    Anonymous

• Don't mix it in anything... then it's twice as much to get in.
    Hold your childs cheeks to make fishy lips, this make it harder to spit. Then put the syringe in on the side of their cheek all the way back... do tiny squirts.
    Blow a fast puff of air in their face, it causes a swallow reflex.
    And then just hope they get most of it in.
    And then praise, praise, praise.... even if it didn't go well.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:33 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• i would check with the dr about the risk of them not getting all of the meds, in the past i have mixed it in a small cup of juice like just a sip worth of juice and they never even notice or you can mix it in applesauce or something like that, to anon 29 she didnt say it was for a cold or flu, and 4 teaspoons twice a day def is not cold or flu medicine, its parents that relie soley on "natural" remedies then end up with children dieing of things that could have been prevented watch court tv once and awhile, parents are charged with neglect in those deaths think twice before rec' something that could end up with a prison sentence if things dont go well you can not ignore a childs medical needs
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 1:41 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• You might also try a "chaser". Have a cup of juice ready for when she's done (or some other favorite treat). Using a dropper and squirting it into the cheek should also help particularly if you angle her back just not so much that she might choke. I was successful in mixing it in with apple sauce but I did it right in the spoon rather than mixing it into the bowl (in case I couldn't get him to eat it either). Good luck!
    Anonymous

• DITTO TO ANON 1:29
    Anonymous

• I would mix it with juice.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 1:54 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Mix with applesauce or use the syringe method.
    marklorna

Answer by marklorna at 2:23 PM on Dec. 22, 2009