It's Holidays moms, what are your stories of gifts for teachers over the years?

Oh I'm SO glad we're beyond that now with my three kids. We've given votive candles, oh stationery, uhm pens, markers, barrettes for women teachers. SHEESH!!!!! holiday designed dishes too we've given. For three kids even two or one kid that adds up huh. I even lowered it to five dollars per gift per teacher - multiple teachers per child equaled multiple gifts per teacher per child equals OUCH $$$$$$$$Finally I just had enough it was our last year to gift teachers and that year each teacher received truly beautiful bookmarks!!!!

What are your stories of searching out the toughest of gifts - teachers gifts? Do you bake for teachers as gifts - have you always been successful in limiting the cost of a gift? Do you kids make crafts for teachers?

lfl

Asked by lfl at 2:03 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Gift card-dunkin donuts, I would love one. :)

Candles, and xmas pins. are cute.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 2:05 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I found cute matching bottles of hand soap and moisturizer. Both were $2.50. They weren't even small! I'm so proud of myself. I bought 5 sets.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:09 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Class room gifts. Markers, crayons, scissors ask the teacher. He/she will gladly tell you what is needed.
    Anonymous

• We usually give gift cards for $10 either to Target or Barnes & Noble so the teachers can get what they want. I've heard from several teachers that they prefer gift cards. they either use them on things they want or books for the classroom.
    We've also done ornaments made by the kids. I got wooden ones at Michael's and the kids colored them with markers (they were in 1st and 3rd grades at the time). This year I made this little stuffed toy for my 1st grader's 7th grade buddy and her teacher saw it and said it was cute so my dd asked me to make one for the teacher. This was 2 days before Christmas break started, lol. Then all the kids wanted to give one so I spent that night and the next day making 3 stuffed animals (knit). My fingers were super sore.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:42 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• One year, we gave dd's teacher foot lotion because she loved to wear sandals and had rough heels. She loved it.
    This year, we gave dd's teacher a gift card to her favorite supply store.
    Some years, we just give a Christmas card. It really depends on how much we like the teacher.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:02 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I hope I don't sound ugly when I say this, but I'm a teacher and I cringe when I get candles, mugs, knick-knacks and such. Don't get me wrong, I truly appreciate the thought. But the fact is no one has to get me a thing, and I really can't use any more mugs and knick-knacks. I keep them around for the year and then give them away. It's perfectly fine not to give a gift to a teacher. They won't think less of you. If you do really want to give something, a letter of appreciation is wonderful, as is a classroom gift. Or offer to bring in something for the Christmas party. A $5 gift card to Starbucks is a nice, usable gesture. A Christmas ornament is a good idea too. I just feel terrible when parents buy me something and I know I'm never really going to use it, especially when it comes from a family I know is strapped. I buy $25 gift cards for my kids' teachers, but we're in a position where we can do that.
    Anonymous