My 4 month old is congested what did you do for your baby?

She is not stuffy,just runny and congested.
I have put a vaporizer/humidifier in her room, when I take a shower I bring her in there for the steam to help her, I suction her all day, I prop her up when she sleeps so there is no post nasal drip. Im a 1st time mom and I take her to her Peds for every lil thing. I just want to help her for once myself any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The Ped Dr. told me to use Saline drops in her nose. The saline actually breaks up the mucous and congestion so it helps.
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 2:45 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• You can use vicks vapore rub. Rub it on her chest.

Answer by louise2 at 2:47 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• it sounds like you're doing a great job! everything you listed is what you can do for her at this age! Saline drops are also good. It really helped my son last time he had a cold. It doesnt feel pleasant, but it REALLY flushes out the mucous! If you want to try out vicks vaor rub, dont apply too much because the menthol can be irritating for some. They have a kids vicks vapor rub which isnt as harsh. You can apply a very small amt to the feet or by her neck on the clothes, or if you nurse, apply a small amt to your chest. do that last resort though! everything you listed, and saline drops are the best bet.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:54 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• we are a fan of the steamy showers and saline drops too. that's what we've always done in our house. and we always kept the nose-sucker within reach. you sound like you're doing a great job, but there's only so much a mommy can do. we can try to make our babies as comfy as possible, but their little colds still need to run it's course before they get better.
    Anonymous

• You can NOT use Vicks VaporRub on children under 2 as it says on the label. It can harm them.

If your baby is breastfeeding she may have some problems nursing. It may help to suction right before nursing. Breastfeeding infants get sick less often and get better sooner.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:09 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• They have BABY Vick's Vapor Rub and I put it on my duaghter's chest and bottom of her feet. It seems to help. Also Saline and use the nose sucker. Not too much though cause it could irritate her little nose. My daughter got a really bad cold at that age and wasn't sleeping well. I ended up putting her in her carseat in her bassinette right next to my bed to sleep at night because when she was upright it wasn't as bad. Hope this helps a little! Good luck!
    Kaitlyn0816

Answer by Kaitlyn0816 at 3:18 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• i've been told to take them in the bathroom when you take a shower so the steam will help with the congestion. make sure they get plenty of formula or breast milk and sleep. you seem like you are doing everything right to me.
    xavierlogan09

Answer by xavierlogan09 at 6:30 PM on Dec. 22, 2009