Why is she doing this?

I have an 18 month old little girl and she is doing something very gross! She is pooping in her diaper and before I know she has done it she is putting her hand in her diaper and pulling out a hand ful and handing it to me or the hubs. WHY IS SHE DOING THIS??? And she is always trying to take the diaper off HELP PLEASE!!!

wantherout08

Asked by wantherout08 at 2:56 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would put some panties over her diaper so that she can't take it off and/ or give you fistfulls of it. She probably doesn't like the feel of it on her butt. Maybe some potty training is in order?
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 2:58 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• lol my son does the same thing sometimes. It sounds to me like she is becoming aware of her poop. she probably doesnt like the sensation against her body or is curious what it is so she's touching it with her hands. She might not be ready, but this is a sign potty training is around the corner.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:00 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Sounds like she is possibly ready to potty train. She doesn't want the poop in there so she is realizing something else needs to be done... she just doesn't know what so she is taking it to mommy and daddy who usually take care of that issue. = )
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 3:00 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• My 17 month old is obsessed with taking her diaper off...so I never leave her in just her diaper..she can't work the snap buttons on her onesies so she ALWAYS has one on.
    sgtdemanda

Answer by sgtdemanda at 3:00 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Put her in bib overalls. Put duct tape around her diaper, I'm serious.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:03 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I was thinking she was almost ready for potty training, but I thought she may be too young, but I gotta do something it is just gross. I don't think I feel comfy with putting duck tape on her diaper though that just seems a bit harsh. any ideas on how to start potty training her?
    wantherout08

Answer by wantherout08 at 3:11 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• A friend's son did the same thing. She always kept him in a onsies which slowed him down but didn't stop him. He was just curious. It doesn't necessarily mean she's ready to be potty trained so keep that in mind.
    Anonymous

• My DD is 18 months old and pretty much done as far as day time potty training goes, it started with the same thing-she didn't want the poop in her diaper any more, so I started putting her on the toilet, and eyedo lady has it all right, that is EXACTLY what I did with mine, and now she wears panties all day except at nap time and very rarely has accidents.

Good luck.
    Anonymous

• i was told to start potty training, for about a week, write down when she goes to the bath room to see if its a pattern. that way she wont have to sit for so long on the toliet waiting to go.my 18month old has been taking her dipar off but not a dirty one yet(poopy)
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 6:14 PM on Dec. 22, 2009