Turning down a Christmas gift...should I?

I have 3 kids, ages 15, 14 and 1. My sister usually gives my older 2 cash gifts for Christmas but announced this year that Christmas was only for the little kids and that she wouldn't be getting anything for the older two. She just called my mom to tell her that she is on the way over with her gift for the baby (cash). I feel that if she doesn't want to give them all a gift, she shouldn't give any of them anything. My mom says I should shut up and take it. I could take it, and divvy it up between all three I suppose. What would you do?

benjamink

Asked by benjamink at 2:56 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would split it between all of them. She may not be financially able to give everyone cash gifts this year.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:59 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• What's up with your sister? Older kids need presents not a baby. I would take it and buy something for the family like a zoo membership.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:00 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• She is financially able by the way. She has just decided that the older 2 are almost adults. I would rather her give each kid $50 than just give one $250, which is what she's doing. I just don't want to be ungrateful and refuse because I know I don't have a right to decide how she spends her own money.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 3:03 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Maybe use the money to order a pizza that the whole family can enjoy, take the kids (all of them) out for ice cream, or divy it up. I wouldn't turn it down or tell her how ridiculous it is - just take it and say thanks and then treat all the kids equally.
    Anonymous

• Take the money and buy something the whole family can use!
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 3:07 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• $250 for just the baby! Now that is really strange. I can't imagine why she would leave the older ones out if she has that much cash to blow on them. I might put $100 in each of the older kids savings or college funds and $50 for the baby, though I don't know what I would tell her if she asked. I think her theory is kind of strange!
    Anonymous

• no. just take it and say thanks.
    Anonymous

• I would take it but like you said divy it up between the three. I'd even tell her you were doing this. I say if you can't buy for ALL the chidren in the home then you shouldn't buy for any. That's just mean and rude.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 3:26 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• 250? You could buy a Wii or something great for everyone. That is weird.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:26 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Take it. Just because she's a dumbass doesn't mean you have to be ;) Once it's in your hands you can do what you want with it.
    sgtdemanda

Answer by sgtdemanda at 3:41 PM on Dec. 22, 2009