Why cant they come here...

Ok. this is mostly a complaint, but advice is welcome...

My mom & dad live 15 minutes out of town...in the country, on a bad, curvy road, and there is a ton of snow...They constantly bug us about coming out there to visit..when i say how about you come in here..they get mad and start complaining that i visit my grandma more ( she lives 3 doors up)...

- besides the road being bad, they usually call when they are in town! They can easily stop in
- they dont even have furniture out there yet ( they cant decide on the living and dining room sets they want ) ..so we have to sit on the floor!
- I have 2 little kids, I dont drive and my husband works nightshift, so after supper and baths he is leaving for work...

Everytime I try to explain to them, that yeah we would like to come out ( which is why we do almost everytime my husband has the night off) ...it is easier for them to come here, but they just get mad.. GRRR.

glamomomo

Asked by glamomomo at 3:16 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I am a grandma and I do understand that it is easier for me to go to my kid's houses rather than them pack up the kids and come here. The only reason I feel I'd rather them come here is I don't want them to feel like I am intruding in their lives, or homes, like they have to hurry and clean before I come. I try not to make them feel that way, and I really don't think they do. But maybe your parents feel this way. Not sure just trying to give you alittle insight, something to consider.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 3:21 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Well, if they won't listen then don't listen to them. If they treat you like that, treat them the same way. I wouldn't like going out there either if I were you, simply because there is no furniture and really it means toting the child as well. They should be a bit more considerate of that. So, just invite them over(give your explaination for the 100th time and if they don't wanna, let them be mad and have a hissy for you not coming over to their house... oh well. If they wanna see you and yours, they'll show up. Good luck!
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 3:24 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Old people think they're entitled to having everything their way.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 3:29 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• well they arent old lol..my mom is 39 and my dad is 43..but I dont think they want everything their way...but I guess I do too..

Also..I know they dont think they are intruding or anything...we are actually a really close family ( the kind that farts in front of each other, and my dad walks around in his underwear)...I think it is because they just like there house better, I dont know...The problem is now they have my grandparents in it so they are calling and complaining that we dont go out !
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 3:34 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• also..thanks for your guys' responses
    glamomomo

• You don't drive. If you don't have a disability then you need to learn how to drive! By not knowing how to drive you are making yourself 'disabled' and you have to rely on others. You can't drive to your parent's house without your husband.

I know it can be hard to get a driver's license. One of my sons had lots of problems and finally got his when he was 20. He had to take the written test over and over to get his permit. Then we didn't have a good enough car for him to take his driving test. His permit expired and he went back to taking the test over and over. We moved to another state so he had a new test to take over and over. Then we had a big car and he couldn't park it and pass the driving test. He was so happy when he finally got it.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:34 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I am getting my lisence this spring/summer...after the snow is gone ( it sometimes snows until April here)
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 3:56 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I usually drive to my DD's, she lives 4 hours away and it's a tough ride in the car with little kids. It's much easier for me to visit her for a few days than for her to come here. She works and I love to go take care of the grandkids. Well one is in school but it saves her money because the younger one stays with me. I am so blessed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Dec. 23, 2009