3 year old neice brown teeth.

My brothers daughter is 3 years old. Since she was like 18months her front teeth had started to turn yellow. They are now brown. It is honestly disturbing to me. They put her to bed every night with a cup of juice. And not even 100% juice...SUGARY juice. They never brush their own teeth...let alone their daughter's. I feel bad that this little girl has stains on her teeth that are going to be there for quite some time until her baby teeth fall out. It's not fair to her that they don't take care of her teeth. She is so little. I feel so bad. There are lots of things they do that are so wrong...and I always want to say something...but they like get mad at me, which I understand because I wouldn't want someone telling me how to parent my children. But still....3yrs old with brown teeth? Isn't that ridiculous?

michellelee3708

Asked by michellelee3708 at 3:42 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• what exactly is your question?
    belladonna777

Answer by belladonna777 at 4:13 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Yes, its rediculous, babies or small children shouldnt have brown teeth, she has "bottle rot" and it was caused by her parents putting her to bed with juice and not teaching her to take care of her teeth. They are being irresponsible as parents and the child is suffering for it. Eventually those teeth will start hurting and she will end up with a mouth full of silver caps if they can save her teeth. So, now you can either say something to her parents or not, its up to you. You are the only one who knows how they will react, maybe you can just suggest that its time to take the child to the dentist.
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 4:34 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• hey i feel ya--my cousin bitched me out one day bc i gave my son a paci when he was 5 months old, saying, well i never gave Ace a paci HE WAS BREASTFED....well at four more than half his teeth had to be pulled bc she would put him in bed with a cup of juice. my aunt let her know when she brought it up later (when my son was 2) about how awesome her son was bc he never had a paci...well, he doesn't have TEETH now! i'd say the 6 months my son had a paci was worth the health of teeth. you have to get that kid to a dentist bc it could ruin her gums too.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 7:37 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Well at 3 years old the child should have seen a dentist and maybe they would take advice from him/her.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:41 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Not everyone has dental coverage and dentist visits can be expensive. At the very least they should be teaching her to brush her teeth.
    What if you got her a fancy toothbrush and some toothpaste and taught her how to brush her teeth?
    We've been brushing my son's teeth since before he even had them, but now that he's almost 3 he loves to do it by himself especially since we got him a toothbrush that looks like a race car.

Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 3:01 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Laila-May...the thing is...she LOVES to brush her teeth. Absolutely loves it. They just never do it. I brush my daughters teeth before she goes to bed. And she loves it too, but she doesn't think of it unless I say, let's go brush your teeth. They just put their daughter to bed without letting her brush her teeth. It's sad. It makes me sad. There's worse that they do...but I wont even go there.
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 4:18 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Hhhmmmm my sister did something similar to my nephew and his baby teeth rotted out by the time he was 3 so until the last year or two his front teeth were missing (he's 7 now) the whole experience jumped my sister into doing better. Now they visit the dentist regularly and brush teeth twice a day. Hopefully it won't get to the extreme but if it does maybe it will give them the kick in the but they need!
    mom06and09

Answer by mom06and09 at 8:04 PM on Dec. 26, 2009