we are getting a sugar glider! any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Pets

• Are those even legal? They aren't here,no animals who aren't indigenous.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 3:54 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• in florida they are
    Anonymous

• what is it?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:57 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• yeah. Don't do it! lol. No really a friend of mine just got two and really really regrets it. They are up all night making a racket because that's when they want to play since they are nocturnal and they are very messy. My advice is make sure you have done lots of research to make sure this is the right pet fro your home. here is a great site that list all the drawbacks to owning one. I'm not trying to talk you out of it if you haev in fact thought this through I just want to make sure ou have all the info since most people just run out to buy one because they are cute.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:24 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• well i didn't answer the question but but_mommie i read the link you posted and holy shit i will never own one!
    AustinsMommy306

Answer by AustinsMommy306 at 9:45 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• We had 2 while i was in highschool they were the most amazing pets we ever owned..that being said I do not recommend you get them they are very very time consuming, their diets are hard to keep up with, and unless you enjoy being peed and pooed on every time you handle your animal. they have many many health problems one of the ones we had had a chemical imbalance (sp?) and could not glide he also had seizures it was scary. there are few vets that know how to handle them and they stink there cage must be cleaned every day and i mean every day! we learned alot after we got them
    if u have any questions i would be glad to help the most i can if you decide to go ahead and get them
    Brittanylynn85

Answer by Brittanylynn85 at 2:34 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I personally do not own one, but my mom and aunt have one a piece. They live in Florida so yes they are legal in that state, and I also can say Indiana sells them in pets stores, so I would guess they are legal there also. As far as the smell as long as you keep up on the cage I have never noticed one. Do talk to the person you are getting it from as far as its diet. The male my mom owns is an escape artist, but is very loveable. My aunts sugar glider is not handled as much so she is not as friendly. Good Luck!
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 11:01 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I work with west mich spca and we have several because people found out how hard they were to keep AFTER they bought them.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:49 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• My cousin has them. Her advice: get two because they do get lonely/depressed if kept alone. And be willing to set aside a large area for them- she often puts them in the guest bathroom and lets them climb/glide in there... they need some space to thrive. Also make sure to have a vet who specializes in exotics ahead of time- I haven't had sugar gliders but have owned other exotics (usually hedgehogs) and a lot of vets will not treat them, or will charge you money without any real knowledge of the animal. And make sure you handle them frequently when they are young- the more you hold a small animal when they are young the better they will adapt to being handled!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:54 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Do a buttload of research first. Don't just get one because they're cute and neat to say you have.
    They are a LOT of work and need a LOT of care.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 6:12 PM on Dec. 23, 2009