Is this normal?!?!

My son is 6.5 months old, we are trying new 2nd stage gerber foods. He tried the garden veggie with whole wheat pasta for lunch and has been spitting up a good bit here and there since lunch, is that normal? He isn't fussy and doesn't act like anything is bothering him. He also has acid reflux but is growing out of it, but he hasn't spit like this in a long time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't try that kind of food again. He might be having a reaction to it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:13 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I would try more simple baby food such as green beans, carrots, peas and etc. With both of my DD I fed them one type of veggie for an entire week to see how they would react to it and then move onto the next veggie. After completing all the veggies I then did the same with fruits. When they were about 8 months old I started giving them the lunch and dinner baby food meals.
    AProsser

Answer by AProsser at 4:18 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• From my experience I wouldn't give him anything with any kind of pasta in it. My son was almost 9 months old when I tried one with pasta and he had an allergic reaction to it - vomiting, rash and swelling all over. All the doctors and allergists we were sent to in the following months said you should never introduce anything that contains wheat, eggs or nuts before the 1st birthday. I knew no nuts and eggs, but I thought if it was a wheat product and came in baby food that was age appropriate it was ok. I learned my lesson after that.
    Rachael420

Answer by Rachael420 at 4:28 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• It could have affected his acid reflux. Certain foods would do that to my kids.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:35 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I think when you start off with food, you shouldn't go with the mixed stuff... Just stick to ONE type at a time. Sweet potatoes, apple sauce, green beans, carrots, etc... Those are good ones to start with. And like a PP said, give only one kind for a couple of days before introducing a new flavor. That way, if your son has any kind of allergic reaction, you know which type is to blame.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:00 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I would think if he has acid reflux maybe the pasta was just a little to rich for his belly.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:31 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Maybe it was a little too thick for him and since he has reflux it's kind of lingering in his esophagus.
    Kaitlyn0816

Answer by Kaitlyn0816 at 5:47 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I have an 18 mo old with reflux. We have battling since about 5 days old. I would say that maybe the pasta was a little to rich or it may have had a tomato base and that could have bothered his tummy. I still can't give my DD any thing tomato based (chili, spaghetti, etc.) and I have to pay attention to what fruits she eats. Just pay really close attention to it. I don't think it was the stage of the food, but the type of food itself. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:54 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Avoid jarred food. Give him table food. You will have far more control, save money, and he will have much more fun and interest in it. http://www.babyledweaning.com

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:59 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Op here- he's had all fruits and veggies and does well with them. We are starting the 2nd stage.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Dec. 23, 2009