NO GIFT FROM GRANDMA

WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOUR KIDS GRANNY DIDNT GET KIDS ANYTHING (EVERY YEAR) FOR X MAS? EACH YEAR SHE SAYS SHE HAS NO MONEY. DO WE KEEP BUYING HER GIFTS? SHE OFTEN GETS PAID THE SAME WEEK AS X-MAS.

MIXED

Asked by MIXED at 4:12 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Relationships

• Pay no attention to the first poster. She gives hateful answers all the time.

That is a tough situation. The grandmother is being petty. She can't afford $10.00 to get her grandchild a present? It's not right. Whether to go on buying presents is up to you. It depends on how old your children are, how well you think they would take knowing grandma doesn't care enough to remember them at Christmas. Or is she always like that with them? It's true some people are just broke all the time, even on payday. We sure are. But we did take some time out of our day and money out of the paycheck to buy our kids a couple of things. It can be done if one actually gives a care.
    Anonymous

• OMG! how petty....

you know, just because someone got paid, does NOT mean that the money is not already spent. that is one of the most self absorbed questions i have read yet.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:17 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• WELL THANKS FOR THE INSULT. THINK OF THE KIDS. THEY DESERVE SOMETHING JUST LIKE HER. EACH AND EVERY YEAR COMEON NOW...
    MIXED

Answer by MIXED at 4:22 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Sorry to say but I wouldnt give her anything else..Those are her grandchildren...You can get toys from the dollar store now a days. She doesnt have a couple of dollars? I dont know your relationship with your kids granny but it seems she might be taking any hard feelings shes has about you or your husband/bf out on your kids.
    shareemonique

Answer by shareemonique at 4:24 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• My MIL does not buy gifts for my children, and we do not buy gifts for her. If I get pictures done I will give her one, but if I don't have new pictures she doesn't get anything. I don't feel guilty about not shopping for her, and I don't worry about whether or not she gives my children gifts. Of course, my MIL is not usually with us during the holidays, so that makes it easy. She will be with us this year, and I will probably give her a plate of cookies. I don't want my children to think how much someone cares about you is measured by how many gifts they buy for you, and I also want them to see that it makes you feel good to give whether you receive anything in return or not. My children will help me make the cookies, so the gift will really come from them and they will be proud - now if grandma doesn't coo over how nice the cookies are I'll file that away in my "crazy MIL" file in my brain, but I won't say anything.
    Anonymous

• I do see where you are coming from but grandma or not, she or anyone is not obligated to buy anyone anything. Now if she bought for others and not for your kids then I would be pissed. That however does not sound like the case here. When the kids ask "how come grandma doesnt buy us anything", try not to make her sound like the bad guy or make the kids feel bad about it. Money is tight and if grandma spends time with them, then that is what is most important. Most likely even if she did buy them something, a month later it would be broke or lost, well that's how it is in my house..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:27 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I don't want my children to think how much someone cares about you is measured by how many gifts they buy for you, and I also want them to see that it makes you feel good to give whether you receive anything in return or not. Anon 3:24

I couldn't have said it any better. My thoughts exactly. You go, Mama! :)

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 4:29 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Its not about getting but giving. Regardless of whether or not she gives you anything should not stop you from giving her something. The best gifts a grandchild can give is something that is personalized by them. A plate, a canvas bag, a drawing. It doesnt have to cost much but the only requirement is that it comes from the heart!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:33 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I agree with Anon 3:24. I would actually maybe con. to give her a gift (something small fromt he kids) so they get the fun of giving her something.
    There could be ALOT of reasons why grandma doesn't give them something -- she very well may not have the money -- whose to say. And even if she does .... its the giving not the getting that's supposed to count.

I.E. my great-aunt (who LIVES with us - sorta) -- is prob. giving $20.00 for all three of us, AND she has plenty of money BUT.... whatever, its a nice gesture and good enough.
    We give her lots of chocolates and liquier -- its what she likes.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 4:35 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• My inlaws didnt send gifts for along time, they said it was due to money but its hard to believe it when at the same time they are buying fountains for their garden and other luxury items. This is one of the first years they actually sent something and we have never made a big deal about it, it is just how they are. There have been years when my mom was short on money and I would buy gifts and wrap them and put her name on them to the kids.

We are just in the habit of not trading gifts with the inlaws.
    Anonymous