Just adopted 2 Persians!

Last month, our beloved Himalayan, Ozzy, passed away. I had planned on waiting awhile to get another cat, but I'm home alone at night while my husband works and I was lonely. Our vet put us in contact with her daughter, who fosters cats, mostly persians. She had 5 at the time and we were originally going to get one, a female about 3 years old. While we were there we saw a silver and white one with terrible tear stained eyes that the foster "mom" said had been there for awhile. They looked kind of neglected, so we ended up taking the two of them. They're not mean, but they're definitely shy and skittish. Any idea how I can make them feel more at home?

metalhealthmama

Asked by metalhealthmama at 4:17 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Pets

• First off, THANK YOU for adopting! As for the cats... Just leave them alone for a little bit, let them get adjusted to their new surroundings. Talk to them in a soothing voice, pet them/brush them if they'll let you, but let THEM set the pace. Maybe tempt them with a little treat like some tuna, or some canned wet food. It'll probably take some time for them to get used to you, but I'm sure they'll come around :)
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:52 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Just be extra nice to them, they'll come around. Good for you adopting older cats!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:37 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I agree with Anouck, let them set the pace. Get some treats and some toys to tempt them and they'll warm up to you once they're comfortable. Try sitting on the floor so you're not so high up. Keep in mind that even after they warm up, the skittish tendencies may hang around. I have two rescue cats and one is very skittish but the biggest love once he calms down again. I'm so glad you can give these kitties the love they need. :)
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 12:19 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Very beautiful cats. Mine had a potty problem.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 1:10 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• There really is set time limit on how long it will take for them to adjust. Some cats warm up after a few days and others can take weeks to months sometimes longer. I would not force anything with them, let them come to you in their time and way. I adopted a semi-feral cat from a shelter 14 years ago and it took me a year and a half to win her over (not saying it will take this long) but once Winnie was totally comfortable she was the companion. These catas have to adjust to you and their new surrounding plus the noew routine. They will come around.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:13 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• It will take time for them to adapt to their new home. I find cats like to be talked to, as they communictae in various ways and a soothing voice and direct eye contact will give then the reassurance that you like them.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 11:56 PM on Dec. 24, 2009