Constipation in 4 month old

She hasn't pooped in about 2 days and is trying SO hard! She keeps grunting and pushing and then she kind of whimpers a little. Shes still getting wet diapers, at least with every feeding, and theres been no change in the feedings. She can fart..if that makes any difference..
She gets formula during the day and the breast at night. She also gets rice cereal 1-2 times a day but she's been on the cereal for almost a month now.. so its not anything new to her...
Iv'e heard a little bit of apple juice and water together gets things moving for babies.. any thoughts?

bexjack

Asked by bexjack at 4:42 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Apple juice could cause a reaction in some kids especially at her age. Try some Kero syrup and maybe the juice if your pediatrician okay's it. Call their nurseline or the local hospitals nurseline first.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:43 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Are her stools hard? My son only pooped every 4-5 days and it was normal for him. It's only constipation if her stools are hard.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:46 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Her diaper (2 days ago!) was much firmer than usual but there hasn't been anything since. She normally has at least 2 diapers a day.
    bexjack

Answer by bexjack at 4:48 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Rice cereal can be constipating - we started using oatmeal with our son and it cleared that right up - we use rice in the morning and oatmeal at night... :)
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 4:51 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Some babies can get a delayed reaction to new foods like cereal.Maybe lay off of it for a few days to see if the problem goes away.She may be too young for food just yet.Some babies are more sensitive than others.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 4:51 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• i would stay away from the rice cereal for awhile, most babies dont handle rice to well...a quick fix for her discomfort is baby suppositories...go to your local pharmacy and ask about them...they should be in the baby meds section. I used them for my daughter when she was constipated as a infant. The pediatrician told me about them, instant relief. good luck
    kiyad22

Answer by kiyad22 at 4:57 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• You aren't supposed to give karo syrup to babies. Try some prune juice very diluted. What worked for my older son was try a rectal temp. Any time I put the thermometer in his butt he'd poop all over. This hasn't been the case with my younger son but i might be worth a try If you do this use vasaline or some kind of lubricant. GL
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 5:01 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I know this is gonna sound really gross... but, if you've tried everything and nothing works - do this - put a lot of Vaseline on your pinkie finger (make sure your nails are very short and west rubber gloves) and insert it in the baby's butt.  It works like an enema without the chemicals and helps the child be able to 'go' on his own.  I promise, it doesn't hurt the baby.  It hurts more to be constipated.

.

Quoiky

Answer by Quoiky at 5:55 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• my son was constipated and we used apple juice mixed with water. it works great for them.
    xavierlogan09

Answer by xavierlogan09 at 6:25 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Since you are nurisng...up the nursings. Breastmilk is a natural laxative, without the sugar hazard of apple juice and the intoxication danger of too much water.

When are you giving the solids? Before or after her liquids? Should be AFTER...never before. And you won't like this...but starting the cereal as early as you did may well have caused some of this. It never matters how ready they appear on the OUTSIDE...it's the INSIDE which you CANNOT see that matters and that's why you're supposed to wait till at least four months for a formula baby.

Don't go sticking anything in her rectum without doc's ok. The hazard is that they can become dependent upon that. So no using it without the doc's direction.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:00 PM on Dec. 22, 2009