When should I get my first ultrasound?

I am pregnant with my first and wondering what week I should get my first ultrasound (I am 6 weeks) ? I almost want to wait until towards the end of the first trimester since I am so nervous to miscarry. Is it bad to wait that long? II honestly don't know so I am asking. My doctor said I could schedule one for next week.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:58 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Well with both my babies my first ultrasound want done until 10 weeks. (8 weeks with my second).
    kanakake

Answer by kanakake at 5:00 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• My ob always sets the first visit and sono for 8 weeks...its a vaginal sonogram to hear the heart beat and see how many:) Then theres one at 12 weeks to check for spinal bifida and downs it works with a blood test. A level two sonogram is done at 19-20 weeks. This is to evaluate the baby's overall health, i.e. to look at different organs such as the brain, kidneys and heart, as well as to take measurements of the long bones, abdomen an head. Unless otherwise indicated you will not necessarily have any other ultrasounds.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 5:06 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• i was about 12 wks. with my second i ahd one at 6 wks,.but it was to confirm the pregnancy and cuz i had a cyst
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:08 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I had my first done at 9 weeks and then another at 19 weeks but I thought I had appendicitis (just a baby foot in my appendix), and I had a few more towards the end b/c I was having contractions and they were checking fluid levels. Get it done in a few weeks so that you can hear the heartbeat, I don't think you can hear it this early.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:15 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I had my first u/s at 19 weeks with #1 and #2 (I knew my LMP so they went off that date at the beginning and the u/s showed it to be accurate) but I have Kaiser now so they do an u/s at your first appt (I was 7 weeks) to confirm dates
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 5:23 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• It must be different in my area because with both of mine I only got one routine u/s and that was at 20 wks with DD1 and 19 wks with DD2. I got a 2nd with DD1 b/c I went past 42 wks and refused induction. Unless you have issues or dont know how far along you are...you only get ONE the whole pregnancy here. And thats been the case with all my friends and they all have different docs and midwives.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 5:27 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• With all of mine I've gotten an early ultrasound around 8-10 weeks to make sure there is a heartbeat, and to confirm it's only one baby. But I've also gotten multiple ultrasounds with each of my kids - at least 3 throughout the pregnancy, and with my 3rd I got one at every visit (we were trying to confirm her sex, I had 2 boys and the dr knew i kinda wanted a girl)

Answer by missanc at 7:31 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• both of mine were at 8 weeks. my doctor likes to do it then to check the yolk sac, heart beat, gestational age, and to be sure its not ectopic.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 7:35 PM on Dec. 22, 2009