Do the Holidays make you sad?

Some reason after all the hustle and bustle of shopping and wrapping gifts, I tend to get kind of sad. This time last year, I lost my best friend to cancer. My boss lost his son two years ago around this time. I also do alot of volunteer work for shelters and I see the sadness in their eyes. Is there anything that has happened to you around the holidays that puts a damper on your holiday this year?
For those of you that haven't, please lend support to those that do get sad around the holidays.

legalmommy101

Asked by legalmommy101 at 5:04 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Holidays

• Yes b/c I lost my daughter right after x-mas 2005 to still birth. My son that was a mirco premie was due 12/26/08. Now this year I lost my father in October. The only thing that helps is that I have two healthy sons 5 years and 4 months.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 5:07 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I get sad around Thanksgiving, but my grandmother passed the day after about 8 years ago. Wow, 8 years already. I miss her so much. My mom I have to perk up because my grandmother always hosted ALL the Holiday events for our family and it has been really hard on her. We are adopting some of our own traditions that we will carry with us as well as some of the old ones that my grandmother used to do as well.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:09 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I do tend to think about those who aren't around any longer to enjoy the time with and have a quiet moment thinking of them.
    jackdaw

Answer by jackdaw at 5:10 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• When my Grandma died Holidays changed greatly. Every year we'd spend Christmas and Thanksgiving at my Maternal Grandparent's house. It was something we looked forward to. The Holiday spirit and warmth was definately in every Holiday. Now Holidays aren't the same. Thanksgiving this year definately had a little magic to it, because it was DH's and my first in our new home. But I still get sad that Holidays haven't been the same since my Grandma died. We really miss her this time of year.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:22 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• My mom passed away 6 years ago Dec 7, so yeah, I do get a little sad around this time. I was decorating my tree with my boys this year and had to walk away for a bit because I was thinking of Mom and started crying. But she instilled such a love of this time of year into me and my sisters that I do still treasure. I enjoy passing on traditions that I learned from her, telling my boys about Granny, and seeing their enjoyment as I pass my love for Christmas from my mom to me to my boys. That I feel is one of the best tributes I could do for her is to pass on the things that were important to her by - yes having my moment of tears, and then moving on to the laughter she taught us and hopefully instilling in my boys the spirit she had for Christmas and everything that includes.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:22 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Not sad but homicidal!!! All of a sudden everyone's so rude!!!! Sorry pp's are sad :(
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 5:28 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I don't have a good relationship with my siblings. We lost our Dad 5 years ago, and as my gift to the family,I told my Mom that I would see about getting Dad's grave blanket. I did, and when I told the family that Dad's blanket is placed, I got a "so what" attitude from everyone, Mom included! So yeah, I'm pretty sad about the holidays, but I am trying to make things good for my DH and my son.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 7:55 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I was sexually abused as a kid - the first time was Thanksgiving when I was 6, and we're a military family, so we aren't near loved ones for the holidays, and there are times my dh has been getting ready to leave for deployment right after the holiday (one in particular, leaving for Iraq days after Christmas), and we've got friends who have had loved ones deployed over the holidays.

So, yes, it can get to be sad, but I try to focus on the good things about it, and focus on my faith, and focus on doing what I can to make it good for other people, too. Which, as corny as it might sound, really does make it a happy and joyous time for me then. So, even though it can be sad, it's still one of my favorite times of year.

My thoughts are with those that are in pain though, because I'm sure that the pain of your losses, while with you always, is even worse during this time of year.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:07 PM on Dec. 22, 2009