What kind of dog do you have and is it good with your kids?

We recently had to get rid of a maltese shi zhu mix because he was bitting and came close to bitting our DS. We plan on getting another dog in the next couple of months maybe in like March but im not even sure what breed.
So, what kind do you have and how is it with your children?

Chas21

Asked by Chas21 at 5:17 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Pets

• Boxer mix.Yes, and with other animals and people. Sweetest animal ever.
    Anonymous

• my brother has a boxer, and he is great with my son..around him tons...though they are a little rambuntious.

my mom has a newfoundland wolf cross that i grew up with along with my 4 siblings and she has always been great, even "saved" me from fake drowning..boy was I in trouble lol.

most dogs can be great with kids if they are raised around them and trained well.

good luck!
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 5:25 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Teacup Poodle. She's still a pup(about 6 mths old)but is really a people lover.
    She's hyper too and a bit on the nervous side but overall a sweet dog. My sons adore her(they are still young too...5,3, and nearly 2) and she likes them too.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:26 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Smaller dogs are more likely to nip.
    If you have the room, get a bigger dog.
    Anonymous

• I have a dachsund... So does my 2 cousins who have children, my uncle who has 4 children and my dad has 3 dachsunds and all the grandkids... They all do extremely well with the kids. I know mine LOOOOVES kids. Especially babies and toddlers she will follow them around and sit with them and just watch them like a Nanny dog haha
    Anonymous

• I have a pitbull/shepherd mix, and a lab/shepherd mix... And a 15 month old son. Both of them are just fine with him, especially the lab mix. But that's just because she's a major mooch, and he likes feeding her, heh.

Honestly, the best advise I have for you is to get your next dog from the SPCA. They do temperament testing on all of them, so they will be able to give you a pretty good idea of how the dog is around other dogs, kids, etc. Also, get a slightly older dog, because with puppies, it's hard to tell what their temperament will be. In general though, I have to say that bigger dogs are better than small ones. The small ones tend to be more hyper/nervous, and nippy.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:38 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Yorkie she is very good with my child my child is 4 but we got the dog when she was 1 the dog was a puppy 6 weeks...now my neice i watch everyday she is 16 months is ALWAYS pulling the dogs hair the dog has never bit anyone
    Anonymous

• I bought my DD Cocker Spaniel for her birthday in Aug and she is fantastic. She is very, very tolerant. My DD dresses her up, puts bows in her hair, picks her front legs up and dances with her. She is a very well tempered dog. I grew up with Cockers and they all have been great with children. They get mid-sized, they have an average level energy; when my DD wants to play she'll play and when she wants to lie down and watch TV, Chloe is right there watching with her. I did a lot of reserch before I got her and I could not be more pleased.

My dog is a half black lab half bassett hound, Gizmo. He is also fantastic, but Bassetts are lazy dogs anyway. When I rescued him i thought he was a pure black lab, but I am very happy with him. He is also very tolerant and loving.
    Am19v

Answer by Am19v at 6:01 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• We have an 8 year old Pomeranian and he is great with the kids. He also has done well with the two cats. We got him about 2 months ago and he has never tried to bite the kids even when they are a little rough with him. My kids are 3 and 1.
    YoungMomtoGirls

Answer by YoungMomtoGirls at 7:03 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I got a beagle as a puppy when my kids were 5 and she is really tolerant of them. They play with her, they pet her, they run and play chase with her, catch with her. BUT they also torture her, pull her ears, messes with her when she's eating, and she never, ever has once got nippy with them. When Dh and my DS playfight and wrestle, she barks at DH to leave him alone. LOL It's the funniest thing.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 8:14 PM on Dec. 22, 2009