Is it true or just a myth that food changes your breastmilk?

I just want to know if the food I eat will change my breastmilk and if it will effect my baby? I heard it was just a myth, the only things that can alter it would be caffeine(keeps your baby up), and onions change the taste. If its true what kind of diet would be good?

CamLivysMomma

Asked by CamLivysMomma at 5:26 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is true that some foods you eat can make your baby gassier and a baby with a milk allergies could be affected if his mother has to much dairy so I guess it's true. I dunno if food changes the flavor or not. I never tried it. :0) I imagine it could though...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:29 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• yes the foods you eat, the meds you take, and anything you drink gets passed into your breastmilk. Your diet will depend on your baby, mine couldn't tolerate dairy until she was about 4 mo old. Stay away from gassy foods like beans.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 5:30 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Back when I used to BF, I noticed the odor of garlic would transfer.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 5:30 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Yep. I have heard that it doesn't change the taste, but I don't believe it. I have smelled the garlic in it and when I ate eggplant, my 3rd child REFUSED to nurse!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 5:59 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• The composition will just about be the same, regardless of your diet. However, if baby is sensitive to certain foods, they can be affected by your breastmilk - some moms have to cut out dairy, or spicy foods, depending on what baby tolerates.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 6:15 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• TRUTH!!!!
    Boy did I learn that after eating lentil soup with Waaaaay too much garlic.
    Poor Ja and mommy.

Too much broc. also gave him gas.

Oh and I ended up in the ER after eating shellfish and breast feeding -- I know dumb but I wasn't thinking about BF when I ate it, still wasn't used to the whole you are still attached thing.
    Never saw the dr. b/c as soon as he pooped he got okay but he had RED "welts" all over his face and body -- they even put us in an isolation room.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 7:46 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Eat and drink AS YOU LIKE. Change things ONLY if your baby reacts.

Unlike MamiJaAyla...I could and did eat everything on her list with not a single issue. I could eat spicy, dairy gassy...whatever I wanted...no issues AT ALL for my son.

Your mileage WILL vary so there are no blanket recommendations.

ONLY change your diet IF baby reacts.

Drop by the breastfeeding moms group and say hello! And feel free to ask any questions you may have,.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:56 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Yes it does pass, but most children do not have issues with most foods. With my first I could eat and drink whatever I wanted and he had no issue. With my second she had a slight problem with spicy so I had to cut that out of my diet.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:03 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Truth. Eat a normal, healthy diet, don't do anything special or cut anything unless it affects your baby.
    Anonymous

• Don't forget the (should be) obvious one, alcohol. This can transfer to the baby.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:16 PM on Dec. 23, 2009