Infant Therapy?

So my son has been tramatized by a car accident. He cant talk yet, but daycare called and said he was spazing out everytime a car pulled up or went by the window. They told me he was shaking and cried basically the whole time?! What do you do for a one year old that cant talk and tell you what hes feeling?! He rides in my car okay, but away from me and his dad hes awful. Hes extra clingy and not his normal self outside of our supervision...ANY ADVICE?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:29 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if someone is trying to sell you infant therepy...don't buy. I hope you can see without explaination why that wouldn't work. I suggest just letting time run its course. Be cuddling and supportive, and see if the daycare people can keep him away from the windows when the cars are coming by? That seems the most obvious. He'll eventually rebound, but there's no reason to freak him out in the meantime. Maybe expose him to cars in a positive light? try a couple car toys, or show him the movie cars or even try "jungle junction" on disney- its a show about animals with wheels who zip around the jungle. I'm not a fan of infants and tv, but I think this a fair reason to do it. Mostly, don't get tense yourself around cars. He will pick up on your attitude, even if you think you're just trying to comfort him. Making a big deal about them will transfer as anxiety to him. Hope one of these things helps!
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 7:19 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• What do you do for a one year old that cant talk and tell you what hes feeling?! He rides in my car okay, but away from me and his dad hes awful.

take him out of daycare, and spend quality, reassuring time with him. that's what i would do! sorry, but you could either keep working and ignoring your child's needs, or take a break from work and deal with your child's issues and raise a well-adjusted child. I could never leave my child in daycare knowing he's freaking out all the time,
    Anonymous

• If you can afford it...I agree with anonymous to take him out of daycare.
    Anonymous

• So you suggest i forgo paying rent and electric bills and stay at home..thanks for your suggestion!
    Anonymous

• I completely understand daycare being a necessity! I agree with the last poster. Try to do thing with him to make cars and enjoyable experience. Play with his toy cars. Visit a car lot and look at all the shiny new cars. Talk to the day care about his anxiety and ask them what they are doing to reassure him. Maybe have them take him away from the window as one poster said for a while but then in a weeks or so have them carry him over to watch. playing 'hello car!' when they drives up and 'bye-bye car!' when they leave. Shoot they can have the whole class play!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:28 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Op- don't ask for advice and then get snotty with people when they give it. I suspect if you took a good hard look at you costs and budget you could find the money to stay home. For example, I assume you are paying a fairly decent amount on day care, especially infant care. Second, how much do you spend for lunches at work, including going out, your work wardrobe, an extra car, gas, etc. How much are you spending for luxurie items like cell phones, coffee on your way to work, cable tv, etc. My suggestion would be to look at those then see if dropping to part time or staying at home is possible. You might be able to take a leave rather than quit completely.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:51 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• well thanks for the advice...to answer teamquinn, i only work part time, the clothes i wear, ive had for YEARS, i didnt even buy new maternity clothes. I dont eat out i pack lunch, my car is the only one we spend money on, SOs truck is completely paid for. I get daycare assistance, so i dont work to just pay daycare, if i quit ill lose out on over 800 a month AFTER daycare fees. I spend 50 a month on cable and internet, and only have internet becuase i go to school full time online only! TRUST i cut cost where i can, but not working is not an option. If it was i wouldve quit when daycare called and said hey your kids acting different?! I dont work just to be away from home..i work because i HAVE TO to survive?!
    Anonymous