Kids ears and getting tubes

So my son has his 6th ear infection...his last one was REALLY bad and they gave him antibiotics, well, we didnt miss a dose but now he has one in his other ear! so they gave us a different med. he has an apointment at the pedi on the 28th...and we got a referral to an ENT doc, they mentioned tubes...how does that work!? I know its fairly common, but im nervous. Thats surgery!!! any one elses child have tubes?!

sweetstkissez22

Asked by sweetstkissez22 at 5:35 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i had ear tubes twice when i was little and it wasnt that bad. i mostly just remember talking and reading books to my mom and next thing i knew it was done. it wasnt that bad and i had no ear infections after that
    lmaines22

Answer by lmaines22 at 1:51 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I had tubes put in my 14 month olds ears. He is 20 months now and he hasn't had an ear infection sense he got tubes. My husband was very against it (so against it he wouldn't go the day of surgery....which I was fine with I was doing it to get DH relief I was doing it for my baby). I'm very happy with my choice and would do it again if one needed it.
    RedBlaze

Answer by RedBlaze at 6:27 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• They go in and put a tube in the ear drum to keep fluid moving out if it gets backed up. It looks gross when it drains from an infection. It really isn't all that invasive. They put them to sleep only to keep them still so that the tubes go in straight. I wish you luck, but he will feel much better when this is all said and done.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:27 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• By the way if it doesn't happen and your child continues to get ear infections then they could end up with hearing problems and speech delays.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:28 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I meant I was not doing it for DH.
    RedBlaze

Answer by RedBlaze at 6:29 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• AWW im so nervous..i wish his ENT appointment wasnt so far away...i cant ever tell when my son has an ear infection! He is usually so happy!! Thanks for your stories...i definitely want to get them if they feel its what he needs, i dont want to keep finding his ears draining!!! it has to be painful!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 6:45 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Both of my sons had tubes multiple times. The surgery really isn't anything to worry about - by the time I got settled in the waiting room the 1st time they were coming to bring me in to the recovery room with him.

Answer by missanc at 7:25 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• My twins had tubes twice. What happens is very young children have very short eustation tubes, the tubes that drain fluid from their ears and sinuses. So they don't drain the fluids from normal mucus well. When that get all plugged up and sits it's like standing water in a swimming pool, the bacteria and fungus grow. So they put tiny, tiny tubes in the ears to help the fluid drain out. It is outpatient surgery, and is very safe. It does require anestesia but very light and you will be able to take him home after a few hours. My kids went from almost constant infection to one or two a season and the ones they got responded more quickly to antibiotics because I could catch them sooner. My girls also didn't fuss much but I could smell the infection sooner with the tubes. For my money it is the best bet.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:57 PM on Dec. 22, 2009