How long is it safe to stay on Depo?

My husband and I are done with one child. I don't want to get my tubes tied because I am only 22 and I don't want to decide we want another child and regret the surgery. How long can I stay on the depo? I really like it. I have never gained any weight and haven't had a period in almost a year. Is it safe to stay on it until I stop ovulating?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:03 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Health

• I started using Depo when it was first approved in the US. After the birth of my son I was advised that I could no longer use it due to the affects it has on bone density....the limit is 5yrs, I had been using it for well over 7.

The sad thing is that the UK had posted these warnings long before Depo was approved for use in the US and it took the US well over 10yrs to finally warn women.
    sheilaj817

Answer by sheilaj817 at 6:29 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• My aunt has been on it for well over 5 years. She missed getting it done again and instantly had a period. It has worked for her. She doesnt want to get her tubes tied because well she is more scared of the surgery than anything. They have 1 child but that is it LOL
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:09 PM on Dec. 22, 2009