panic/anxiety attack, shortness of breath, help?

Ok, so this past week I have been consistantly been having panic attackes and shortness of breath. My heart starts pounding and I get really anxious out of the blue, and then at times I get shortness of breath, and a heavy weight on my chest. I can't see a doctor this week.. hopefully next week, but does anyone know of any immediate relef?

Precious333

Asked by Precious333 at 6:05 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Health

• slow breathes... take some time to pamper yourself.

do you have a specific thing or event that triggers them? if so then come up with some reassuring sayings and write them down on flash cards so you can read them outloud to yourself when you are having an attack.

There is an anxiety and phobia workbook that i thought was helpfull...i bought it quite a few years ago but im sure there are tons around.....i got it at barnes and nobels.

good luck
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:11 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• If you know what is triggering the attacks, remove yourself from that if possible. Otherwise think of calming things. Go to your mental "happy place" if possible. Sometimes aroma therapy helps. Pick a smell that reminds you of something good and concentrate on that. Of course the breathing thing help, deep cleansing breaths are good.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:14 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• ok... I'll try, but it feels almost impossible to do, because if I try and take a few minutes to relax and 'pamper' myself the kids always come looking for me and wanting things... or cry of things. I have a 3 and 1 1/2 yr old, that I'm with ALL day long... I really don't get any breathing room!
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 6:27 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• You're under stress and you need to let it go. Physical symptoms of stress include panic attacks, shortness of breath, heavy feeling in your chest, even chest pains. AT THAT POINT IT BECOMES SERIOUS. I know you are Christian; give your stress to the Lord and ask for His peace.

A panic/anxiety attack is the body's over reaction to a stressor. It gets ready for fight or flight, stimulating adrenalin release and rapid breathing, sometimes even digestive upset. To help relieve the immediate symptoms you can do deep breathing and relaxation techniques, like you probably learned in childbirth classes. Chew some gum, pop a candy in your mouth, sip some cold water or hot tea, get up and move, rub your own neck or shoulders or feet, sing...anything that will remove your mind's focus on the stress. Eliminate any caffeine you may be consuming.

~hugs~ I know it's not easy; I've had panic attacks for over 30 years.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:43 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I also get Panic Attacks try Meditation,standing on one leg with your eyes closed(trust me you can't have a panic attack in this position),take deep breathes in a paper bag,go for a walk(alone preferably to get yourself away from what is causing you panic),walk on a treadmill for a few minutes to release some of the "fight or flight" reflex,journal to get stuff out in the open and try to find your stressor's(sp?)(or talk therapy if you can do it- I have been doing this for about 1 1/2 helps so much. I hope one of these ideas helps you. Stay Well.
    Anonymous

• I was actually diagnosed with Post Pardum Anxiety Disorder after I had my daughter. Zoloft helped me A LOT! I know exactly how you are feeling and I couldn't wait to get to the Dr. because of how horrible it makes you feel. Just keep telling youself once you get to the Dr. things will start getting better. Deep slow breathing until then. You'll get better! Why can't you go to the Dr. this week? Oh yeah and NO caffeine! That makes them worse.
    Kaitlyn0816

Answer by Kaitlyn0816 at 7:01 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• My daughter has a severe anxiety disorder. Breathe from your belly. Slowly count to ten as you breathe in through your nose pushing your belly out. Then exhale slowly, count to ten through your mouth pushing your belly in. I mean very slowly. Your body will naturally release something that relaxes your body. Practice it regularly when you aren't panicking so when you need it, it will come more naturally. Good luck. That is something that really difficult to watch. I feel so helpless and want to help her. She curls up in the fetal position and just cries. The breathing helps, then they got her on medication. It isn't as bad anymore. Good Luck!!
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 8:11 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• It does sound like you are having anxiety issues. Life can get really stressful, and it is so crucial that we make time for ourselves! If you cannot take a longer thirty minute break, you may have to just take five minutes here and five minutes there. Some moms get time to themselves by waking up before their children, taking advantage of naptimes, or staying up after their children. One way I get a break is taking a quiet bath by myself with my husband or older son watching the younger children. It will get easier, I promise.. but you have to take care of you! Baby steps, mama.... how about a coffee break with some prayer time and maybe reading a devotional for a few minutes each day!
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 5:42 PM on Dec. 28, 2009