Study: Schools face shortfalls after stimulus ends

ALBANY, N.Y. – Using federal stimulus money to avoid layoffs at schools is going to create a shortfall even more difficult for states and schools to contend with when that money runs out, according to a first-of-its-kind study released Monday.

New York alone will see a $2 billion shortfall after stimulus money ends in 2011-12, and that could drive up some of the nation's highest local property taxes another 8 percent, according to the analysis by state Comptroller Thomas DiNapoli.

"This isn't just a New York problem," DiNapoli said in an early and detailed analysis of school aid after federal stimulus funds run out in 2011-12. "Other states across the country will face a similar dilemma if they used stimulus money to plug budget holes instead of paying for one-time expenses.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091222/ap_on_bi_ge/us_school_funding

Do you think your local school system will be affected and how?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:08 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Here's a newsflash for ya, schools faced shortfalls before the stimulus.

Good job, genius, now connect the dots. I know that is so difficult for Obama supporters to do, but give it a shot anyway. Schools are short on money, stimulus offers short term fix with a long term net loss, making the problem worse. Schools are worse off after the stimulus than they were before the stimulus. Schools would have been better off if there had never been a stimulus. See how that works? Now change schools to just about every other short-term only funded mandate in that ridiculous pile of shit called a stimulus, and MAYBE you will begin to understand why we are in serious trouble thanks to the f'd up piece of Dem owned and operated legislation.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:34 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• The smart governors and local mayors are the ones who saw this coming! This is the reason why many of the Republican or fiscally conservative Democrats REFUSED the Stimulus bill, or went through their portions of the bill line by line, as they knew when the money ran out, it could end up costing the city/state MORE money in the end, and in some cases bankrupt those cities!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:39 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Don't worry, Obama will save us. Because he fixes everything. And even if he doesn't, you aren't allowed to blame this on him even though the entire thing was his project, drafted by the congress this year during his term, and campaigned for by him personally. You aren't allowed to blame him for anything. This is obviously Bush's fault.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:52 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Our school district is too tiny to get any stimulus funds. They are limping along. However, property taxes are still going up, even though houses have lost much of their value.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:32 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Here's a newsflash for ya, schools faced shortfalls before the stimulus. This was a temporary thing--teachers knew this. Most of the money got tied up in administration and never made it to schools. Of course, you haters will blame it on Obama and his administration because you don't know any better. God forbid anyone mention the beginning of the financial end of the educational system was the albatross NCLB shoved down our throats by Bush. But we won't go there because on CM it is sacrilege to call a duck a duck or point out the fallacy of any other predecessor to the presidency.

Anonymous

• My local school district has received a nice chunk of stimulus funds. (I would state how much, but my puter is acting up, and I can't bring up the info :( I can't even use my normal browser, grrrrr....) Anyway, we got some gobmint money, and we are still trying to figure out if the operating levy passed this 4th time that they've put it on the ballot..... So, I do have to wonder if we'll get another levy when the stimulating funds dry up. We already have 6 that we are paying, 1 that is in contention, and who knows what will come in the future.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 9:01 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• NCLB shoved down our throats by Bush.

Shoved down our throats by Bush??? Are you freakin kidding me. It was authored by your healthcare champion Teddy Kennedy and another lib and strongly promoted by the democrats.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:23 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• OP here. I think NotPanicking has a good understanding of this story. Too bad one "hater" didn't bother to read the story and get the jist of it.
    Anonymous

• Good job, genius, now connect the dots. I know that is so difficult for Obama supporters to do, but give it a shot anyway. Schools are short on money, stimulus offers short term fix with a long term net loss, making the problem worse. Schools are worse off after the stimulus than they were before the stimulus. Schools would have been better off if there had never been a stimulus. See how that works? Now change schools to just about every other short-term only funded mandate in that ridiculous pile of shit called a stimulus, and MAYBE you will begin to understand why we are in serious trouble thanks to the f'd up piece of Dem owned and operated legislation.

SHAZAM!

tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:13 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• NP, I want to by you in another lifetime.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:45 AM on Dec. 23, 2009