Microsoft Word sale prohibited as of Jan. 11, fix promised

Office workers of America, enjoy your Christmas break. Because come the new year, things could get a little hairy around the office. Microsoft Word is now scheduled to be prohibited from sale beginning January 11, 2010. That's less than three weeks away. The good news: Microsoft has promised a fix, one which will be rolled out before the deadline arrives.

If you don't understand, you might have simply missed this story, or dismissed it as something that Microsoft would ultimately use its considerable clout to have pushed under a legal rug.

Hope everyone that needs it or uses it has got a couple copies of it!

Mrs.Owen86

Asked by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:19 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I got this for my sons laptop because his school has macs but I was tols that as long as he had word they were compatable. I hope this doesn't affect the schools computers and I do not have to fork out yet another $150 for something new.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 8:07 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:19 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Who cares? If for some inexplicable reason you don't already have a copy of Word, use OpenOffice like any technologically intelligent person.
    Anonymous

• Alot of people care anon. Gah What is with the 'tude? If you are so intelligent and dont care then why respond?
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:27 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Thanks very much for this info.!
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 6:30 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Alot of people care anon.

Really? Who are these "alot" of people that have never bought Word and will suddenly have an urgent need to after Jan 11? It's one program that can be replaced by a completely free program.
    Anonymous

• Everyone I know uses it. Same as most companies.
    You know if you dont care then again why respond?
    Go on and find something else to complain about
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:33 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

If they already use it, then this news is completely irrelevant to them. And that's why I keep responding, because you obviously don't understand what this says and are trying to fearmonger. This means NOTHING if you already own and use Word. The absolute only people impacted are those who do not already own it and for some reason will want to buy it for the first time in the time span between the 11th and Microsoft settling this problem. It will not make your existing copy of Word not work. All it says is you can't buy a brand new copy. For those very few and rare people on earth who do not already own Word, there is Open Office for free and a dozen other word processing programs available to use in place of it. Hell, Wordpad will do most of what people need and that's already built in.
    Anonymous

• How am I a " fear monger"? Go away anon. I can tell you that we have replaced copies do to losing them and getting new computers. This is just anews story I found intersting so I posted. Get a freakin life
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:40 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Hm, Wonder if they will come out with something "new and improved" AGAIN!!! maybe this will be a nice excuse for why peoples homework isnt in the correct format!? Weird...
    Anonymous