family gathering/only bring gifts for the kids/ how old is "the kids" when do they graduate from it --- or younger generations are always gifted??

just wondering, with dh's extended fam there is a big xmas eve get together and it is known that you only bring gifts for the kids. some of the kids are getting into the late teens and they are hard to find cheap gifts for. dh has gone to buying them lotto tickets and they always seem to win... :) but if you were asked to name an age where children graduate out of "the kids" what would it be?? we will continue to always get stuff for them because it is habit and i would just feel bad...

AmaliaD

Asked by AmaliaD at 6:32 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Out of school, whatever age that is. If they drop out at 16, they're done. If they graduate at 18, they're done.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:35 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Yeah i agree with you, it would be hard for me not to get someone from the family or friends something for xmas just bc of their age. But I'd say 18 or 19. Bc at that age they really understand what money is. Well for the most part anyways, they don't think it comes from trees like little ones lol. Depends on how many kids their are in the family. My best friend has 23 nephews and nieces so if she didn't get me something it wouldn't bother me at all. Nothing is cheap anymore.
    sexy_can_i

Answer by sexy_can_i at 6:48 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• If you want a specific age, then go with 18. Adults.
    Anonymous

• DH is the baby of 6 so a long time ago we all decided to do family gifts so when the kids moved out they no longer got a gift. However now 2 of his nephews work for him so since he sees them daily and we see their children regularly we buy something for the great nephews whose fathers work with DH and give it to them away from the family party.
    On my side of the family once a "kid" has their own children they no longer get something from the siblings/aunt/uncle, my nephew and his GF had a baby this year so the little one gets gifts but the parents don't.
    Anonymous

• How about like at say 16,17 or older maybe gift certficates to like a clothing store like Old Navy or a music or video store?
    cutebaby06

Answer by cutebaby06 at 7:41 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I'd have to go with making the age limit at 15 or 16. So that means in my family, we only have 2 kids to shop for, my son and my nephew.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 7:47 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• At 16 my niece would no longer allow anyone treat her as anything other than an adult. It's a good age I think.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Dec. 23, 2009