help my daughter constatnly cries!!!!!!

well she just turned a year & i don't know what happened but she cries all day & she throw's HUGE temper tantrums by throwing things or herself & i have no idea how to deal with it... i have been talking to her telling her what's good and bad (the dr said to) doesn't help! if i say stop she points her little finger at me and says stop or no no no mama... i was just wondering what i should do? or any tip's????? they would be greatly appreciated!

LoveKillsSlowly

Asked by LoveKillsSlowly at 7:00 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well since you saw a dr and are describing the crying more like tantrums that upset/in pain tears, I would say 100% ignore and walk away. They do it purely to get a reaction out of you. I try to head it off- when I can tell she's getting upset, I ask her to use her words (1 may be too young for that, but at that age she can point) and if she was past the point of communication, I'd try to redirect and if she still had a tantrum, I'd just say "we use our words" and then walk away, even in public (obviously in sight still). It was amazing how fast she'd mellow out. And now, I'll ask DD "do you need a time-out" in a non threatening way because I've learned that they reach a point where they can realize when they're overwhelmed and a little break can help them regain control of their emotions. But the concept of good and bad doesn't exist to a baby- and no baby is bad so that won't work.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 7:13 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• It sound like she is hitting the terrible two's (the appear in the second year of life). I just ignore tantrums and they eventually stop. They are less and less long but they still occur. We don't look at her or pay attention until she stops. If they become super loud then she goes into timeout in her room. I wish you luck, but explaining god and bad to a 1 year old will get you no where quick.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:02 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• my niece was younger then that when she would point at you and say "poo poo Ma ma!"
    Maybe she's just expressing herself.
    LadyAronna

Answer by LadyAronna at 7:19 PM on Dec. 22, 2009