what is up with this kitten?

he is only around 6 or 7 months old and he shits like 3 or 4 times a day, and we have to change the litter box every 3 days.any one else have this problem. he also walks around meowing like a femal in heat,for no reason,, he is not fixed yet plan on doing that after the new year, he also hisses at every one but my 18 month old, she is the only one that can go by him. she can pick that cat up any witch way and he will not scratch or bite her.

angelairelan

Asked by angelairelan at 7:35 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Pets

• lol maybe hes eating too much and cries for attention
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 7:36 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Change the litter box every 3 days? I clean mine twice a day! 3 days seems like a pretty long time to me, to be honest... Most cats are pretty clean, and don't like using a dirty litter box... As for the hissing, he's probably intimidated by bigger people, and your child is smaller, so he feels less scared. Try crouching down and approaching him. And some cats are just more "vocal" than others :)
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:41 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• maybe he's retarded, my sister has a cat like that, she calls him the retard
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 7:42 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• You only clean the litter box every three days? You should sift it out every night, if not twice a night. If the cat is pooping more then normal then take it to the vet. It could have an allergic reaction to something in your house, or even the food. The food can be causing digestional problems for the kitten. Cats at that age are exploring their bounderies just like a child of that age would. It is just testing what it can do and how the you will react. It may find you intimidating, but not the child because she's down on it's level.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:28 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Have you taken it to the vet for a check-up and its shots? Its possible it could be sick or have distemper.
    ithi

Answer by ithi at 9:29 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• You just described my cat. He's fixed, just turned a year old and the biggest crybaby on the planet. Some cats are just talkative. I'm surprised you only have to clean the litter box every three days. If I don't clean the box a couple times a day, this cat goes on the floor. Young cats really seem to prefer babies. This cat of mine wouldn't let anyone but my son near him until he was about three months old. He still prefers him (or my husband's cat who is "mommy" as far as he's concerned). I'd check with the vet about the pooping when you get him fixed but three times a day isn't really all that much.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 12:14 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• get clumping litter and sift it 2-3 times a day, that's what we do. I can't imagine only changing it every 3 days.....I wish!
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 8:17 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• If he is pooping alot, there are probably too many "fillers" in his cat food. I'd try switching him to a higher quality food and put him on a feeding schedule first. If that doesn't help, take him to the vet for a health check. I also agree that you should probably be cleaning the litter box alot more often than every 3 days!
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:36 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• the cat does not have distemper. if it did it would be dead by now.

kittens eat and poop a lot. you need to clean your box at least 2 times a day or you will start having issues with him going somewhere else... He is right in that age where he is starting to 'mature' so gettign him fixed soon will be a huge help, in MANY ways, especially behavior.
    Anonymous