Is anyone else frustrated with endometriosis?

I just had another laparoscopy, and I've developed adhesions again. The doctor was able to free my uterus from my bowel, but he couldn't free the left ovary from the tube without actually cutting me open. I had laparoscopy and laparotomy in 2004, and he spent 5 hours working on me that time. These are all new adhesions. The first laser lap was in 1998. The previous surgeries were to try to get pregnant, but this one was because of pain. The doc can't be sure I'll have pain relief after this one since he couldn't get it all w/o doing major surgery. I can't do a 6 wk recovery w/ 2 small children. Part of me was hoping to wake up and learn that I'd had a hyst, and part of me still wants to get pg (we adopted our 2 beautiful kids). Am I crazy for wanting both things? This disease is evil.

Iamgr8teful

Asked by Iamgr8teful at 7:39 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Health

• OMG yes, endo sux! I fought with Endometriosis for 10 years. Surgery after surgery, that eventually ended up with a hysterectomy last year at age 26. The pain was so bad, I would be walking thru the house and it was like someone hit me with a baseball bat in the side and I would double over in pain. I put off my hysterectomy for years because I wanted more children (i have one), but everything down there had fused together so many times that the scar tissue was ridiculous.

You are absolutely not crazy for wanting both. I did. I wanted the pain relief, but also wanted 3 or 4 more kids. It eventually got so bad that I was to the point that I would not be able to have a safe pregnancy, so I had my hysterectomy. I had a total hyster, my appendix removed, my bladder stapled and had a lot of scar tissue/endo/cysts removed as well. I feel your pain Mama, it sux!
    Am19v

Answer by Am19v at 9:55 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I am about to turn 41 and would not be heartbroken if there are no more children. I'd just like to know how it feels to be pg and give birth, also nurse a baby. If not, though, I'm blessed to be a mom and that's all I really wanted anyway.

I asked my dr if this would all stop when I reach menopause, and he couldn't say for sure. I'm an RN student and have also done my share of reading on endo. If I understand correctly, the inflammation is caused by the hormonal fluctuations (which should stop with menopause). The inflammation contributes to the adhesions. It would seem that if I enter menopause with no adhesions, I should not continue to have trouble.

I'm just tired of having sharp pains that make me stop in my tracks just because gas passes through my intestines. Sorry for the rant. I knew when I had this surgery that he probably wouldn't get it all.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 7:59 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Am19v, did the doctor take your ovaries when you had your hyst? My doctor doesn't want to do that b/c it increases the risk of heart disease and osteoporosis by causing earlier menopause. Without taking the ovaries, the hormonal cycles would continue and it wouldn't bring relief from the pain and the problems. I have thought about it, though.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:56 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I have it too and YES it sucks!! I have had numerous surgeries too and they wanted me to get a hysterectomy and I got a second opinion and didn't do it. The first dr. wanted to take everything and like you said Iamgr8teful all of those risks come with. So I opted not to and I am on seasonique birth control pills and it had helped with the pain tremendously! You only get 4 periods a year and the periods are where the adhesions come from. And it is very ironic that I tried everything for 6 yrs to get pregnant and now I am on birth contol LOL! I do have to say the one reason I love Endo is it gave me my son!!!! If I didn't have it I wouldn't have adopted him, and he is my life. Hope everyone becomes pain free and Iamgr8teful, hope you get preggo!
    lilsweetpea708

Answer by lilsweetpea708 at 10:13 PM on Dec. 23, 2009