How to get a baby to sleep in their crib?

My son was born on Dec 11, 2009 and as soon as he falls asleep (usually while nursing) I put him down in his crib. As soon as I put him down, we wakes up and starts crying until I pick him back up. My daughter did the same thing (she is 3 now) and that resulted in co-sleeping which I do not want to do this time around because of how unsafe it is and also my daughter is still sleeping in mine and my husbands room. To eliminate co-sleeping with my son, he sleeps in his bouncer or car seat in our room. I just need some advice and suggestions on how to get him to sleep in his crib. I don't know if he's too young to "cry it out" right now as I couldn't even do that with my daughter. Please help!!!

ang0343

Asked by ang0343 at 8:04 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You need to put him down BEFORE he falls asleep, when he's in between sleep and awake. I know it can be hard to do sometimes, but that's the best way to do it, in my experience. I have 2 kids, 4 and 15 years old. Doing that way also helps him learn to get himself back to sleep.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 8:13 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Have you tried swaddling him? My daughter was like that too. She slept better if she slept with me but if I had her wrapped nice and tight she would sleep on her own for a little while.
    Sophie1106

Answer by Sophie1106 at 8:27 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• My girls slept in their cribs from the start. How I did it was....I would feed the baby as soon as they woke up and then let them play on the ground and hold them and I normally at that age did nap time every two hours or three hours and so I layed them down wide awake. This taught the baby that bed time means laying down and falling asleep. They never cried, they just layed there until they fell asleep (normally about 5 min or so). At that age they only slept for like 3 hr increments, but both of my girls slept through the night by about 7 or 8 weeks.
    Gem0614

Answer by Gem0614 at 8:58 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• He's too young to cry it out.
    You need to lay him down while he's still drowsy but not asleep.
    He may need swaddled.
    Anonymous

• yes i would feed him and just put him down in the crib. i did this with my daughter well sleepling in her own bed worked for about 2 y ears.. but now.. she's given up her crib and invaded and occupied my bed space. LOLOLOL... Heck i don't know where i went wrong.. i keep blaming hubby who left about 3 weeks ago on an emergency and the girl took to sleeping with me.. i guess for protection. LOLOLOL.. i can't get her out!!!!!
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 10:47 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Awww. :-) You can try the swaddling though he may just want his mommy. Co-sleeping can be done safely though. Here is one link http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070100.asp There is a lot of information out there. Trust your instincts. If you and baby sleep better together than do that you have to do what works for you. The most important thing right now is that baby is getting his needs met and you are getting your rest.
    anklebitr

Answer by anklebitr at 12:39 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Babies should never CIO. It is dangerous to let a baby this young CIO.

Co-sleeping is not dangerous if you follow the safe co-sleeping guidelines. Mothers have always slept with their babies and still do in most of the world. The vast majority of babies that die in the night, die in cribs. The deaths that are attributed to co-sleeping are include babies sleeping with people other than mom, babies sleeping on couches and chairs, and using other unsafe co-sleeping practices.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:09 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I would just put him in his crib while he is awake and happy. We did that with my son very early he never had to cio and was much safer in his crib than in bed with my husband and I. We are both heavy sleepers so we knew he would not be in our bed. I would not listen to Gailll she makes it seem like your baby will die simply being in a crib. That is not the case. She is a bit crazy.
    Anonymous