needing advice, please

My son is 3 months old. Lately, he constantly fusses unless I walk him around the house. Just holding him doesn't cut it...he has to be swayed and walked, upright. I'm a sahm and it's getting hard to do this for 9 hours a day while my husband is at work. My husband says that I'm teaching our son to cry to be walked around by always giving in, but it kills me to hear him scream and cry, so I give in. Am I spoiling him? Has anyone else had a very high maintenance baby? I just don't know what to do, but I do know that's not possible for me to walk our house 24/7.

StefanieN84

Asked by StefanieN84 at 8:05 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter was extremely high maintenance and wanted to be held and walked all the time. It was so stressful for me bc I was a sahm too. I would have to strap her to me just to do dishes. Just remember it doesn't last forever and once they get mobile it definitely changes. Now with baby #2, he was the opposite!
    JenM1975

Answer by JenM1975 at 9:29 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• i have the same problem my son is the same way he's also 3 months im not sure but i think he is starting to teeth try using a cold teething ring my ds likes it and i use the swing ALOT because my back isnt very good and carrying around a 15-16 lb baby all day KILLS me really i have no advise because i havent figured it out yet but i do understand how you feel
    freshly.married

Answer by freshly.married at 8:13 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• My son was the exact same way, it gets better! My son is 8 months now and he'll sit there and play with his toys, he still has his moments where he wants me to play and hold him. I don't believe you can spoil a baby. Do what you think is right. Don't pay attention to ppl who tell you otherwise.
    Anonymous

• I don't think you can spoil him. Have you tried using a sling or wrap? I have a Moby wrap that I use with my 1 month old & she is so calm while wrapped onto me. She instantly falls alseep & stays asleep for quite a while, which makes it so I can get some things done. I recommend the Moby wrap, because it distributes baby's weight evenly throughout both of your shoulders & is very comfortable. It does take a couple tries to get the wrapping down, but I just put it on before we go out.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 9:00 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I would take him to the doctor just to rule out a medical condition, he may have collic which causes him to be fussy. Once possible medical cond is ruled out, your son may get better soon. Some kids are just naturally fussier than others. I would suggest a swing also. It really helped my youngest son. He wasn't a real fussy baby,(all day). He just had to be moving and the swing really helped with that. Good Luck
    jazzysgrammy

Answer by jazzysgrammy at 9:37 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Do you have a sling or wrap? Put him on and go about your business and he should be happy as a clam! He just wants to see everything, and being with you while you go about your day will teach him things! :)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 9:55 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I had a child at daycare (she was about 3 months) that was like this, her mother worked at the daycare too and told me to stop picking her up because it was "spoiling" her, neither I nor her mother would actually let her scream or cry for long, we would get her interested in other things, and find ways to comfort her and let her know that she was safe without being held. Its all about making the child feel secure,Try getting them interested in a toy and try talking to them the whole time you are doing something..
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 12:51 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• You are not teaching him to cry or spoiling him. Women have always used things to bind their babies to them for a reason, it keeps babies quiet and they can get other things done. Get or make some kind of carrier or sling. The are directions for making your own online.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:05 AM on Dec. 23, 2009