Are you suppose to use baby powder on babies bottom?

I cannot remember as it has been a couple years for me. I just remember not ever using it because people told me not to & I cannot remember why. My sister had a baby yesturday & she is really red & irritated on her bottom 7 she is using baby powder. I always used A&D ointment??????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:39 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it gets in their lungs. You're not supposed to use it I know that.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 8:40 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• no baby powder cuz it has aluminum in it and baby's inhale that
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 8:41 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I heard its just uncomfortable on their bottoms and feels like sand in their diapers. I don't use it.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 8:44 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I've only been told NO by everyone I've talked to in the hospital and at my son's pediatrician's office.They can inhale it, and that can be dangerous. I haven't used any so far and my son is 3 months. I've seen no reason too, and just to be safe, I won't.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 8:46 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• You use Burt's Bees powder. it's made with natural powders and nothing dangerous. Just make sure the baby doesn't inhale it. I like to put the powder on my hands and lightly tap it on the bum. good luck
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 9:20 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I believe cornstarch powder - which is what is usually sold now a days - is okay. Definitely not talc. I wouldn't use any powder to treat a red bottom. The purpose of powder is to absorb excess moisture and prevent rash, not treat it. I would use an ointment. Personally, I like balmex.
    Anonymous

• If they have a rash, you can use CORNSTARCH powder; it is less dangerous for kids. DO NOT spray it all over. Put some on your hand and then apply it to the baby's bum.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 10:32 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• i don't use it.. though i bought two huge bottles that have just been sitting for two years.. why because i read some where that it's not healthy for the baby to breathe in. now i use the powder for when i get oil spills on my clothes. it works wonders removing the oil spots.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 10:43 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Only time we EVER use it - and we use it sparingly and carefully - is during the summer with heat rashes. The rest of the time we use either triple paste or vasoline for diaper rash. Nistatin if its a yeast rash.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 11:53 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• If she's red an irritated: 1. Stop using wipes...They can be quite harsh especially the scented ones. Get some cheap baby wash cloths and wipe her bottom with PLAIN water. the washcloths can be washed and reused. 2. Give the bay some naked butt time...nothing clears a rash better than plain old air and dryness 3. Apply aloe gel at every diper change to speed healing.

No lotion, no baby oil, no powder.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:58 PM on Dec. 22, 2009