Does anyone have any experience with an SVT .. Supraventricular Tachycardia?

I have one and after many tests the doc determined it was too much coffee and decongestants. I cut that out and it all but disappeared. Now it is back and although I now take some propanolol for it, it still worries me.

Any thoughts? Please...none that will freak me out

WendyMomOf4

Asked by WendyMomOf4 at 8:42 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Health

• I have already went to a cardiologist. It started with a holter, then an echo and then a stress test. Nothing was wrong. He suggested first trying to cut out caffeine and sudafed. I did and it went away. I have been working almost non-stop for the past month and it is starting to bother me again. I have propanolol for it and began taking it almost a week ago. It helped at first but I wonder if maybe the lack of sleep is giving it a boost.
    WendyMomOf4

Answer by WendyMomOf4 at 9:31 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Fatigue can definitely aggrivate it but talk to your cardiologist again. I had SVT and went to the emergency room for it because I didn't know what I had (my heart was palpitating and I was passing out). They saw it on the EKGs and ran echos and montiors over night. The next morning a specialist came in, took me to the OR and did a cardiac ablation. They burnt out the section of wiring in my heart that caused the SVT. I haven't had one episode of it since (its been a year). I would try getting more sleep though. Stress and fatigue are probably what is causing it, but it is always best to check with the doctor.
    Greenesa08

Answer by Greenesa08 at 10:58 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Thanks for the great replies. I have heard of the cardiac ablation but my symptoms are very mild and only an occasional irritant. If I had more symptoms, by all means I would consider further action. I am glad to know I am not alone.

Have either of you been told your SVT could turn into something more serious and kill you? I have not read anything like this and what I have read only suggests that people with weak hearts and significant problems would have greater risks.

Thanks.
    WendyMomOf4

Answer by WendyMomOf4 at 6:29 PM on Dec. 23, 2009