anbesol

OUCH! i'm in pain. it's not my tooth but my gums around my wisdom tooth gets inflamed and very sore every once in a while. i know i should just suck it up and get the darn tooth out!

but for now, what do you think about using anbesol or other benzocaine orally during pregnancy. i'm in the beginning of my 2nd trimester.

i've researched online a bit and it just says that they don't know if can affect the fetus, and you should ask a dr about it. ;) i think that probably means that they just can't prove that it doesn't affect the fetus but i haven't really found anything very specific

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:45 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I believe it is safe.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:46 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• If you're worried about it, it's not any worse to go get the tooth pulled during pregnancy - it's just going to make the problem worse if you don't get it taken care of. And letting teeth go bad can be harmful, mainly to your heart. So...call the dentist tomorrow or Monday morning and get it taken care of properly asap!
    Anonymous

• Oh - and if it's the gum around it that's inflamed & hurts, it's infected - an infection is worse for the baby you're carrying than a tiny dab of pain reliever. I had a tooth pulled when I was about 5 months pregnant with my first, and everything was fine.
    Anonymous