Husband not being home for Christmas??? Would it bother you??

My husband was working offshore and quit when his mom died and bc he didnt make it home b4 she past & he didnt want to miss the birth of his daughter a month later... He got a job around house, got laid off. We have been stuck at my grandparents since b4 she was born. he got a job but not enuff $ for us to move out. he got a call from a land rig and they want him to leave CHRISTMAS EVE. I mean this is BS... Would you feel the same way? I am not ungrateful, I know he is trying to work to get us out of here but still... But the topper was he told me to take same money and go by myself a present... after I went and bought him stuff... grrrrrrr

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Relationships

• Aw. It is a disappointment. Don't let him see it, though, he is doing his best. Too bad about the present, but what can you do.

Answer by Bmat at 9:10 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• He has a job, these days those are hard to come by... There's always more Christmas's, and hopefully by next year you will have your own home and have him home with you. I would take the money he gave you and put it away for when you need it.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:11 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Well My DH was in the Army for 20 years. Was gone a lot for a lot of the Holidays, through out the years. A Military wife gets use to it after a while. You should be greatfull he is trying to get a job to suport you all. He is a better man then some out there.

Answer by louise2 at 9:13 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I would be disappointed, but it sounds like he really has no choice. Just let him know you'll miss him, but don't get mad. The present is sort of shady, my dad always does this to my mom unless I convince him to let me shop for him or at least go with him. Maybe make him go with you or use the money for a night out before he leaves.
    camiam81

Answer by camiam81 at 9:14 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• i have had some of the same problems with my hubbys job since he works outta state all the time..but ya know when it comes down to having money and the bills paid you sometimes have to make sacrifices i know its tough i have been there myself since my hubby missed last thanksgiving and was home only on christmas day...but we had bills to be paid..so we done our best and pulled together...there will always be other days to spend together...good luck
    Anonymous

• Well, I know you feel sad and upset about it. But as an adult you've got to realize that Christmas day is just that...another day...you can make it whatever day you wish.....there is no gigantic parade that comes down your street on Christmsas day right?.....so who's to say that it cant be a day or two before.

So, bake your cookies....wrap the gifts and have it tomorrow! ;)
    Anonymous

• My boyfriend is a truck driver, and he's not able to be home for Christmas. He wasn't able to be home for Thanskgiving either. It happens. Is it disappointing? Absolutely. Do I live with it? Yes. He does this so that he can take care of us, so that we can be together and have a roof over our heads, food to eat, and Christmas presents under the tree. I'd love nothing better than for him to have a job where he could be home with me every night, but that just won't happen. He loves his job, and even if he didn't, in today's economy, you don't give up any job, whether it's one you already have or one you've just been offered. It's one Christmas, try not to turn it into something huge. I'm sure he's just as disappointed as you are.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:20 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I would be unhappy, but under the circumstances, what can you do? Celebrate Christmas on Wednesday and move on.
    Anonymous

• I'm working Christmas Eve...5pm until 5am Christmas morning. My twins are 17 months old so they are a lot more aware this year than they were last of toys and special clothes and family fun. It bites. But that's life. I chose to be a police officer a long time ago knowing that there would be special days that I would miss because when most other people are at home with their families enjoying a holiday, I am patrolling, keeping them safe. I know you don't like it that your DH will be gone if he takes this but the welfare of your family is more important and you need the money right?

As for the gift part....errr...men are dumb. What can you do. Get yourself somethin pretty :)
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 9:38 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• With things being so bad with the economy he should take it. You can celebrate xmas now or when he gets back. It's just a date and you can change the date. Quite being selfish. Let the man go so he can provide for his family
    Anonymous