How can I get my son to sleep past 630am??

He is 17 months and will not sleep past 6-630...the day light does not come in our room till 7ish. I have even tried getting him to bed around 9 or even 10 but he will still wake up around 6 just oober cranky. I have even tried feeding him more before bed but that has also failed...I have tried to just let him cry but he has this attachment/comfort blankie and he will throw it out of the crib and will SCREAM till he gets it again and get out...I have no idea what wakes him and it is driving me crazy! he still is too young to grasp the, "i wont get you till this clock stays 7" ANY ideas????????????????????????????????????????

8firsttimemom8

Asked by 8firsttimemom8 at 9:07 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is 6 1/2 years old and has done this ALL HIS LIFE....I have tried every trick in the book. I realize now he is just an early riser...too bad for me ;) lol. I look back now and wish that I wouldnt have gotten so frustrated and worried so over it. Sorry I couldnt be more help, just wanted to let ya know, sometimes, you cant change it ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:12 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Oh I meant to say that his magical hour for waking is 6:30 as well. Saturdays, Sundays....holidays. LOL....even if he is up until Midnight...its still 6:30 ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:13 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I used to get my son, nurse him, and put him back to bed when he woke up at 6:30. He never had a problem with that.
    Anonymous

• I wish I had an answer for you because my 4 1/2 year old is up at 6:30am every morning too... Then he wakes up EVERYONE else!
    itsjaimiehere

Answer by itsjaimiehere at 9:49 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Make the room darker.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 10:01 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• It's hard to change a child's internal clock. I have 4 kids who, if left alone, the earliest one will wake up at 6:30 no matter what, and the latest is 7:30. There's no way to force them to sleep longer - when they're ready to get up, they're ready, no matter how un-ready mom & dad are! *Sometimes* daylight saving will change a child's habits, but this last time it only lasted a week with my kids and they were back to waking up at their usual time. The best thing you can try is to give him a sippy cup of milk, maybe a little thing of dry cereal, and see if he'll lay by you with that or stay in his crib with that - watching a movie or PBS can help with that too - I've done it a few times and it's worked.
    Anonymous

• Sorry, but waking up between 6-7 is totally normal for toddlers. You really can't change that.

You can ease in to the morning together by having some milk and snuggles (in your bed if you like) right when he gets up. Sometimes they'll fall asleep again for a little bit, but even if not, at least you get a little more eased into the morning.
    Anonymous

• that happened when my son was 2, he was fighting the naps, and he woke up super early despite late bed times, you arent going to like my suggestion but it worked for me, let the naps go..... (deep breath!) some kids need less sleep, maybe cut down the naps, but some kids are just early birds too. thank god mine sleeps till 9! best of luck to you!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:38 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I give my son a bottle and go and lay back down. He'll usually lay in there for another hour .. sometimes fall back to sleep. Then when he's done with the bottle I'll get up and we'll start our day. But .. I have learned that that extra time is much needed, so I make the bottle the night before, so it's a lot less effort. Haha

Substitute a bottle for a sippy if that's the way you do it.. I haven't weened him off of a bottle yet.. though I swore by age one he would be .. I fail. lol
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:16 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I think it's just how some babies are. My DS is kinda like that. For the longest time he would wake at 6:15 or 6:30 everyday. He's just now sleeping until 7:30 and he's 20 months old. We didn't really change anything, he just started sleeping a little later.
    Anonymous