2nd time being induced!

has anyone else had this happen? i was a week late with my first son and i was induced (no problems, easy labor, he came out healthy) and i thought succesive pregnancys were sapposed to be on time or early, and my due date has yet again come and gone, i am going to be induced on the 26th, so anyone else have this problem? why does my body not want to go into labor? im SO done with this lol

bradynsmom222

Asked by bradynsmom222 at 9:12 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I've had 3 children, and much to my disgust, I've had to have some sort of induction with each of the.
    Baby #1: My water broke and contractions never started. Eventually they said we needed to work on getting the baby out of there and used Pitocin to start my contractions. (BTW, I know better now and wouldn't allow Pitocin near me again).
    Baby #2: I was at 42 weeks and not showing any signs of going into labor soon. The baby was getting big and the placenta was getting old. They broke my water. Everything from there out was natural though.
    Baby #3: I was induced with Cervadil on my due date. My doctor was concerned about me having another 9lb baby. If I knew then what I know now, I would have waited to let the baby come on it's own. The experience wasn't bad, but I think babies should be left to come when they will unless there's a valid medical reason.
    Anonymous

• Yes. Unfortunately!
    Baby #1: NO signs of labor, was induced with Pitocin at 41 weeks. Had a good delivery and healthy 7lb baby.
    Baby #2: I walked around at 5cm and 80% effaced for 4 weeks. NO signs of labor and was yet again induced with Pitocin at 43 weeks. It was a fast, but extremely hard labor. I passed out right after and almost lost my life. The contractions were aLOT worse than with my first.
    My body cant seem to go into labor by its self. I am pregnant with baby #3 and will NOT let pitocin go into my body EVER AGAIN!
    Ari0825

Answer by Ari0825 at 9:30 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• it's normal to have babies at 42 weeks so i would think that would be pretty common. my son was born at 41 weeks and i'm just counting on this pregnancy lasting 41-42 weeks. if baby comes sooner, great!!! :) i do agree w/ pp that babies should just come when they are ready unless there is some problem like pre-e, etc. good luck and congrats
    Anonymous

• Some women just have longer gestations, and that is completely normal, just like it is nomal for a women to have 35 day cycles instead of 28. I would just wait, honestly. There is no reason for you to be induced just for dates. There should be a real, legitimate problem that is not as pressing as the need for a c-section, but too pressing to just wait for the natural course of action. I would NEVER EVER be induced for post dates. There would have to be a really good reason.
    squish

Answer by squish at 9:44 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• My first was 17 days late and 9lbs 8oz (went into labor naturally though, no drugs to help speed things up either). So when my 2nd was a week overdue, we got worried about another huge baby. I was induced and had no problems. My 3rd was 4 days early, and was my smallest baby, but I had a LOT of stress with that pregnancy. I was induced right at my due date with my 4th, again everything was fine. My last one I was induced when I was once again overdue. No problems. Some women go earlier and earlier with every baby, but it's not the gold standard. My mom was 2 weeks overdue with all of us. It just depends on the woman. Nothing wrong with being overdue for the 2nd time, other than the discomfort and mental readiness that is!
    Anonymous

• I was induced twice with only my water being broken and no pitocin. My first was at 37 weeks because I had to have surgery and they needed to get him out first. It was a quick labor and he was born less than 3 hours later. My second was at 38 weeks and it was because I had been 5cm for a week and was GBS positive. The doc was worried that since my first went so fast that my second would also and he wanted to ensure that I got the GBS meds before I delivered. That labor lasted 4 hours
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:28 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• you will go into labor... your baby just isn't ready to come out. you aren't " over due" til 42 weeks. I know it's uncomfortable, but don't rush things. Our bodies are designed to do carry babies and give birth the right way. Trust it.
    mamaof2748

Answer by mamaof2748 at 1:16 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Labor should start, for some women it means 41 to 43 weeks, when it happens. other times, labor can go on for a long time and no progression. it all depends.
    Katie80620

Answer by Katie80620 at 10:11 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• No~ that is not true about birthing after the first. Baby's come at the perfect time for them, whenever that might be. It can be earlier than the previous sibling's gestation, but there is no rule.

Really, you don't know that your body doesn't want to go into labor unless you give it the chance.
    Giving your body what it needs (as long as you and baby are fine) is okay.

Induction is meant for weighing risks-- when baby is safer on the outside than in. Being past your EDD alone is not dangerous, it's normal. (The Estimated Due Date is the mid-point of the 4-week due period: 38-42 weeks.)
    An unnecessary induction adds unnecessary risks, if you'd prefer to avoid those then it is okay to wait.
    :-)
    Good luck!

doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:40 PM on Dec. 23, 2009