I have a few questions about a 5 yr boy old with a weird obsession.

My 5yo DS has a weird obsession with bellys and bellybuttons I have walked in on him rewinding and replaying parts on cartoons pertaining to those body parts and touching himself and when his father and I try to talk to him about it he freaks out we don't yell or anything like that. I have walked in on him rubbing his belly on my duo maternity tags with pictures of bellys on them, He has drawn pictures of dora and her bellybutton and other weird pictures with bebellybuttons. Is this normal Have any of you experienced this with your child or have you dealt with a different weird obsession with your children? If so what did you do? I am kinda creeped out by this and I just hope he will be normal. I don't know what to do about this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• OOPS I meant 5 yr old boy
    Anonymous

• My 7 year old girl loves to talk about butts and farting constantly to the point of wondering if she needs counseling or something. Kids are a puzzle, hopefully they grow out of it or it's replaced by something not as odd!
    Anonymous

• It's normal for children to form obsessions, but some obsessions should be addressed. Your son seems to almost have a fetish of sorts with the way he reacts to bellies and bellybuttons. I couldn't tell you whether it's harmless or not, though I lean towards it not being harmless. I would take him to a therapist to maybe shed some light on this.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:58 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Well I think that it could be worse! I would not worry about it. Just have to watch him during the summer.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 10:05 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• It does sound freaky. Maybe you can find a way to sit down with him and casually bring it up so he doesn't feel threatened by talking about it.
    Anonymous

• i think its awkward that you are creeped out by your own son..... hes 5. who knows why he likes belly buttons...my 5 yr old is obsessed with flying....it happens.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Maybe if he knows more about them, he will be less obsessed? Have you tried telling him what a belly button is? It's a scar left from the umbilical cored after someones born. Everyone has one, they all look a little different, but they are all kind of the same. You might want to buy him a few bellybutton books too. If you make it seem like you think he is acting strange, or wrong then he will feel like a bellybutton is a 'taboo' topic. If you can't be open with him about bellybuttons what are you going to do in a few years when he needs to know about growing up? Try some of these books. Make it a fun thing to learn about, when he learns all he wants to know he will move on to something else.    

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=node%3D4&field-keywords=bellybutton

MomOfJandM

Answer by MomOfJandM at 4:19 PM on Dec. 24, 2009