No child left behind

In your understanding, does no child left behind mean pass kids no matter what? Or does it mean give children, that need the extra help to succeed the extra help? The school district my kids are in, have been letting stupid mistakes go by for years. Now it is showing in my sixth graders spelling and math. I look at his papers and they let mispelled words go by, not even calling it to his or my attention. It has been going on for years...I let it go but, I have to say something. I want my son to succeed and excell. If they won't help him I will have to get on their backs to do their jobs because to me this is unacceptable. What do you think?

mamofive

Asked by mamofive at 10:27 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in

• Thanks.
    mamofive

Answer by mamofive at 8:32 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Get on their backs, take it to the school board. This is why we have kids having trouble keeping jobs because the can't read after finishing high school.
    Anonymous

• The understanding I have with the "No Child Left Behind" is that all children get the same chances. For example, child that are considered special ed will get the chance to sit in the regular classroom. I do not believe it means kids do not fail. I work in the school system and kids fail. I would question your child's school.
    Anonymous

• Ideally, I think it was meant to mean that every child got the help they needed, but now I think it actually means, pass every student even if they can't do the work.
    Anonymous

• Sorry hun, but if your son is in the sixth grade and you have just noticed that he has trouble with spelling and math, then you have to take some of the responsibility. You must have not been looking at his homework to have just noticed his problem. As his mom, you should have gone over his homework with him from day one. Teachers can only do so much. It is your responsibility to see that he is where he should be academically.

When I was in school, especially when I was in grade school, my mother went over our homework every night. When she noticed that we misspelled words, we had taught us how to spell the word by sounding it out. We then had to practice writing the word several times until we learned how to spell it. She helped us with our math, too.

Sometimes kids don't catch on to the lesson in school and may need extra help with their lessons. That is what you should have done with your son.
    donzgurl

Answer by donzgurl at 3:01 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I have always checked his homework from day one, thank you very much. I figured they were letting it go for some reason. When I said something before they would say like he's only in this grade or that grade. I did my part as a parent. I was not trained to be a teacher, they were. So it is their responsibility to notice and correct these things. They have not been so I AM going to get on them about it to make sure my son succeeds and excells.
    mamofive

Answer by mamofive at 3:51 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Oh, and I did not ask this question to have my parenting bashed. I asked because I needed help, you know advice! So if you want to bash my parenting please don't even respond.
    mamofive

Answer by mamofive at 3:53 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• From my understanding, No Child Left Behind means that kids who need extra help will receive it. In trying to offer that extra help, as a teacher, I found it similar to beating my head against a brick wall. It also means that while helping the lowest of the low, the average and high kids get left behind. In th end, everyone loses. It's possible his teachers tried all the tricks they know and he needs special ed services, which regular ed teachers don't necessarily know. You can't say they're not doing their job if they've been trying. Teachers are human too and are not miracle workers.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:25 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• No Child Left Behind is a way for the federal government to NOT give out federal funding. NCLB is a way for the teachers to teach only what is needed to allow kids to do well on standardized tests. If a school has too many "failing' students on the standardized tests, then the school loses fed money and can be shut down due to poor performance. NCLB is a joke. It helps NO ONE. The concept of NCLB is good, but the way it is being implemented is not.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:00 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• My son does not need special ed. He is like honor role material. He just makes those mistakes I has mentioned before. I realize being a teacher must be difficult, but if can't or won't take the time to point out a child's spelling mistakes that are quite noticeable maybe you chose the wrong profession. I made up my mind any way. I am going to talk to the teacher's and the principal etc. Thank all of you for your advice and comments. No child left behind...no comment.
    mamofive

Answer by mamofive at 9:30 AM on Dec. 26, 2009