Is there a dress code in your local public school??

My daughter is 7 and goes to a public school. Her principal told her that her clothes were "unacceptable" for school and she is never to wear such clothes to school again because the colors are too bright and she "stands out".

She was wearing a jean skirt just above the knees, a pink sweater with a huge flower on the frond colored red, green, yellow, blue, purple, a little white and a little black, pink tights with red, green, yellow, blue, purple and black dots and pink and white rain boots.

Yes, I know. Lots of colors. But doesn't she have the RIGHT to wear them??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in

• Yes, there are dress codes in the public schools. The only way you could fight this is if the handbook states different rules. Also, I would think about if it is really a battle you want to fight. It will only make it harder on your daughter. It is just clothes.
    Anonymous

• i think so...hmmm

the dress code thats the newest i heard was that the kids cant wear any shorts that are above your arm length when you put your arms down to your sides.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 11:14 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• the dress code thats the newest i heard was that the kids cant wear any shorts that are above your arm length when you put your arms down to your sides.

I know of that one, but colors are not in any handbook. That's ridiculous.
    Emmagr

Answer by Emmagr at 11:16 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I've heard of dress codes talking about skirt length, ratty/holey jeans, t-shirts with words or pictures, but never heard of anyone complaining about color before.
    Anonymous

• We have dress codes at ours but nothing against what you described. You should have gotten a school handbookt he first day of school if not then check your schools website and if ot there go to the school or district and ask for the hand book, find the section regarding dress code and then present it to the principal if he was out of line then let him know. The only rule I can think of would be drawing attention to ones self that disrupts the class room, but it doesnt sound disruptive to me at all it sounds very typical of what girls are wearing right now.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:48 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• You would think so. Our dress code is navy or khaki dress pants and either a navy or white polo shirt. Look in the handbook and see if there's some "law" against being too colorful.
    crazycatlady66

Answer by crazycatlady66 at 5:00 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• We do have a dress code, but it's basically "Don't dress like a whore." I have never heard of one not allowing colorful outfits unless it was trying to implement uniforms.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:21 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Yes and it is pretty specific and kids are sent home to change if they are not in dress code. There is even a public school in my district that has a uniform.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:56 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• That's ridiculous...she was reprimanded because she was wearing bright colors and she "stood out" WTF Unless they have a SPECIFIC rule about that in the code, or if they wear uniforms, you need to have a talk with that principal.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 10:23 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• well we have a dress code but its not that strict! I would be checking the dress code then talk to them about this. I would be upset if this wasn't stated clearly and there is no uniform policy that states they have to wear certain colors. I think my sons school is starting a policy I need to check for sure where girls can't wear dresses at all. His younger sister goes to a Montessorri school and if she goes to his school will be so upset! She loves dresses!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 2:01 AM on Dec. 26, 2009