Is it terrible that my 26 mo old still has a bottle of water at night in bed?

We were slightly late at getting my son off the bottle - he stopped having milk in a bottle at 17 mos. But he continued having hot water in a bottle at his bedtime, and he still does at 26 mos. I don't think it is bad for him - he never has milk or anything but water in it, it relaxes him since it is hot, he only has 1 a day - at bedtime - and it helps him stay hydrated. All the rest of the time he drinks from a cup w/ a straw, so it isn't like he is dependant on a bottle. And water won't rot his teeth. And he doesn't fall asleep w/ it in his mouth - he actually finishes it and places it on his bedside table.
So, is there anything wrong w/ this, or can I feel okay in allowing it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He's not too old for a bottle of water at night. I'm sure he'll wean soon enough. Don't let these negative mothers make you feel bad.

My daughter is 18 months old and has a bottle of milk right before bed. I have no problem with it. She'll wean when she's ready. She is already showing signs that she'll give up her habit soon.

Your child is only 26 months...a little over 2 years old. In many parts of the world, he is still considered a baby. Only in American are we in such a frickin' rush to "grow up" our children. Allow your child to act his age. And don't worry about what others think.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:19 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• i dont think there's anything wrong with it but i dont know why you asked it on CM? but anyway, if it really comes down to it, water is the best way to go.

years ago i went about that the wrong way, so im saying the water is best
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 11:38 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• You asked so I'll say how I feel. I would find that really unacceptable. My son is around that age and there is no way in hell I would give him a bottle with anything in it. If you have to ask if something like this is okay and explain in depth why you do it you may want to re think it.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:39 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• What, your kid doesn't drink water during the day? Hydrated? You act like he's running a marathon not going to bed. Why are you asking permission from us to be okay with it? A baby bottle. I think you are making excuses.
    Anonymous

• get him off the bottle. my son is the same age and he hasnt had a bottle since he was 12mths old. Give him a cup of water before he goes to bed and thats it. he's too old for that.
    Anonymous

• ask any dentist or pediatrician...your child should be off the bottle by 18 months. milk or water, he should be off the bottle...for his own good. if he likes warm water at night, put it in a sipicup...let him drink from that since he puts his "bottle" on the table when he's done. take away the bottle!!!! do i tfor you son!!!
    Katie80620

Answer by Katie80620 at 12:18 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• well sorry to break it to ya, but yes it is like he is dependent on the bottle, this sounds like really lazy parenting on your part. I agree with the earlier post my kids didn't and wont have a bottle past the age of 12 months. If he is old enough to set the bottle on the table them he shouldn't have a bottle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• One bottle of water at night = a bottle addiction?? Get real!!

A bottle addiction is a child walking around all day with a bottle...so much so that his teeth are malformed. One bottle per night is NOT an addiction...just like smoking one cigarrette per day is NOT an addiction.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Dec. 23, 2009