DH's ear is leaking fluid that varies from clear to yellow with traces of blood. What does the color of the fluid mean?

This morning he was diagnosed with bronchitis and fluid buildup behind the eardrum. He has kept a hot, rice-filled sock to his ear to alleviate pain and facilitate draining. I haven't been able to find out what the colors of the fluid mean for adults--I'd appreciate any help you can give us! Thanks in advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Health

• It means he has a sever infection in his ear and his eardrum probably burst. Hope you have good antibiotics. Go to your doctor, severe ear infections can cause loss of hearing and deafness.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:58 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• sounds like eardrum burst. he should feel better, less ear pain. should heal on own. did dr give antib?
    SSSMOM025

Answer by SSSMOM025 at 11:59 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• A ruptured ear drum can be serious and needs antibiotics.( My MIL thought the fluid leaking out was a "good sign" and both her kids ended up being partially deaf. SHe was too cheap to take them to the Doctor.) And, the infection could lead to the mastoid bone being infected. It is nothing to ignore---he needs to see a doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I have to agree with anon. I have slight hearing loss on my right side from it. Just go. Good Luck
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 12:07 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• The ruptured ear drum should heal on its own, but he will need antibiotics for the infection. Like someone mentioned, the pain shouldn't be as bad now. My hubby had that recently - I guess it's not as common for adults. Until the ear drum heals, he won't be able to hear very well from that ear.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:55 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• the fluid buildup may have ruptured his eardrum. Call the doctor. It happens but I believe according to the color they may put him on antibodics if he's not already on thtem. Just to keep germs out and make sure it doesn't get infected.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:43 AM on Dec. 23, 2009