Facebook etiquette?

I recently joined facebook& reconnected with some cousins I've been missing but haven't had time to keep in touch with. I'm loving the ease of it on fb! The trouble lies with my step grandmother. A very overbearing, nosey woman. (If you met her, you'd know that was a nice way of describing her!) My cousins have not taken to her as well as I have. But they did allow her to friend them on fb. Now, she's requested me to friend her twice! I talked to her, in person, politely said no& she requested again! She's a fb friend of the cousins, which is bad enough bc she's in my business on every comment I make to them. How do I get this woman to butt out so I can form a relationship w/my flesh&blood without her being all over our business? How do I get away without friending her without causing WW3?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Relationships

• Well it sounds like she is not hearing you, I would send her a polite but firm message saying that you are not going to add her. If she persists then you may have to resort in blocking her. As for the comments she makes- if you post something on your fb page- you can choose who sees it- and you may be able to block your posts from her view. As for your cousins maybe you should tell them that you are not comfortable with her commenting on things, and could they please message you instead of making comments?
    Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• You already said "no", so now just stand your ground. If she's the Queen B that you said she is, regardless of what you do about this matter, WW3 is going to happen anyway.
    donzgurl

Answer by donzgurl at 1:29 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• she is your STEP grandmother. not a friend or cousin. if you already politely said no...she knows already. just ignore her, if you have to.
    Katie80620

Answer by Katie80620 at 2:01 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• There is a setting you can do so that any post you make isnt' seen by anyone but the one you posted to. She wouldn't even be able to see you or find you on there if you don't want her to (that would be for everyone else as well).
    I made it that way on mine so that only the people that I WANT to talk to can find me.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 8:05 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Just keep ignoring the request. I have had to do that with my brother's know-it-all girlfriend several times too. I friended her, she started lying about me & bashing me... I deleted her as a friend... she has since requested me several more times & I keep ignoring her & will continue to do so.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 8:58 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• to keep the peace I'd just add her then ignore anything nasty she has to say.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 2:15 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• You could also make it so that she specifically can't request you. I think it's called the "block" setting. I had to do that to a creepy guy once and he had no way of knowing that I was singling him out.
    Anonymous