Isn't the government supposed to be 'for the people'?

If the vast majority of Americans are dead set against this health care bill that Democrats are SO desperately pushing through, why do they continue with it? Aren't they supposed to listen to the public? Or am I missing something....

banana-bear

Asked by banana-bear at 12:31 AM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Those that think that the only media outlet that is giving negative polls on this bill are the same one's that think that Republicans don't have any ideas for healthcare. They are too stupid to figure it out on their own, so they pull stupid comments out of their a$$es to try to quiet the opposition.

Do we need health insurance reform in this country?  Hell yeah.  Does this bill brought by democrats even come close to fulfilling the democrat's promises to help those that either can't afford or have a hard time affording their insurance?  Eff NO!  This is a big thank you and wet kiss to insurance companies and big pharma and won't bring rates down for a majority of Americans.  The fact that the economy isn't getting better like they expected and all of this new spending just tells me that their taxation threshold will be dipping lower than they are telling everyone. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:37 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• They don't care what the people are saying. They think they know better and are smarter than you and I and everyone else and they are set on saving us from ourselves. Health care is the holy grail for democrats.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Yes, they will truly control us then. We'll be feeding from their hands like they've always wanted. And we'll all live fabulous lives like in any other socialist country. If I wanted this lifestyle, I would have moved to Cuba.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 12:51 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Banana bear, you are so right! We have been thrown under the bus by our own gov't and I am amazed at how many people don't get it...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 1:07 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I think that we should have socialized health care, but as usual, anytime that the government wants to give us something, big business will get richer and the people will get screwed.

From what I have heard on various political podcasts, the only winner in this health care bill will be the Insurance companies. This bill guarantees to increase their profits exponentially with no real reform.
    donzgurl

Answer by donzgurl at 1:24 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I keep praying for a miracle to stop this. If they pass this, there will nothing to stop them from passing the cap & tax BS, and then, there will be no point in having a job. Oh, wait, there won't BE any jobs. At that point, I would seriously think about getting on any program (PA) that I could, because I more than likely will not be able to get a job (can't get one NOW!!) and I will certainly not be able to afford anything at all on my dh's income, cause all of that will go to taxes, so PA would be the only way to "keep" any of our money. I don't know, it's late, and I can't sleep, and I could have it all wrong, but it does make some kind of sense right at the moment, lol.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 3:30 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• the only winner in this health care bill will be the Insurance companies

That's not true - the drug companies are going to make a killing too, and the biggest winners - the paid off politicians - medicaid financing FOREVER for the state of Nebraska...nevermind that the other 49 states will get to pay extra to cover the cost.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:35 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Where are you getting this info from? Most people that I know are FOR the healthcare bill. So what polls are you looking at that say that the majority of the people are against this plan? On FOX perhaps?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:20 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• So what polls are you looking at that say that the majority of the people are against this plan?

They've been posted multiple times in the past few days. Rassmussen, CNN, NYP, Gallup. The people who want this bill are in the minority. The results are consistent - do a search on it, you'll find them going back to Sunday.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:35 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Here's a question with some of them
    http://www.cafemom.com/answers/348028/What_went_on_at_1_am?cat_id=&next=11#r_foot
    There's another one with about 6 more
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:38 AM on Dec. 23, 2009