questions about teeth

1. How much do braces cost ( in general) ...does it depend on the insurance you have?

2. If a child has buck teeth ( from sucking on a binkie...) and these are not her baby teeth...will she grow into them ?

Our neice has really bad buck teeth..MIL always gave her and nephew binkies even after they lost their baby teeth...but nephews arent as bad...she took her to a dentist and he told MIL that she will "grow into them" that was almost 2 years ago and she hasnt....I feel bad because other kids make fun of her at school, and she is actually a really beautiful girl...me and husband are trying to find more info about braces or other things that might help her...because MIL is just taking that one dentists advice ( from 2 years ago)......

glamomomo

Asked by glamomomo at 1:12 AM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would go get a second opinion. there are alot of things that can be done.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:14 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• My son's brace were $6000, but it all depends on how long they have to wear them.(he has to wear his for 5 years)
    Take her to a child dentist is my advice and they can tell you if the child needs braces.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:25 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• did your insurance cover any of it ? and did you do payments?
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 1:29 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• if it wasn't so late, i would text my FIL who is an Orthodontist/Dentist. Sorry, I do not know the answer. All I do know about that, is binkies are no good when it comes to teeth developing (which you already knew).
    Katie80620

Answer by Katie80620 at 1:32 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I have buck teeth (don't think it came from binky use) and I sure didn't "grow" into them. My jaw is actually pretty narrow and my back teeth are pushing the front ones forward. I can actually fit my thumb between my bottom and top front teeth when my back teeth are together (jaw closed). It sucks but what can I do about it. My parents couldn't afford braces when I was a kid and we didn't have dental coverage. Our dental only covers braces for people under 19. We can't afford them, although I'd love to get them and straighten up my teeth because they bug me...not the sticking out part but I can feel them pressing together and they hurt sometimes.
    All my kids are going to need braces so I'll probably be 50 before I get any, lol.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:14 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• yeah, my bff's MIL had ad uck teeth and couldnt get races so she just got them pulled...but our neice is only 9 that is why I think we should try and do something now !
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 2:35 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• glamomomo my insurance paid $1000 on them, and as my husbands insurance paid another $1000 on them. . I had to pay $750 up front, as nearly all make you do this. They also set up monthly payments, I think mine was like $150.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 3:50 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Good reason not to give a kid a damned binkie, huh!? I hate those things!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:53 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• If they are adult teeth, she will NOT grow into them and someone needs a second op. Many many ins companies do NOT cover braces. Some do, but only about a thousand out of the average 3 grand they usually cost when all is said and done. I had very buck teeth as a kid from sucking my thumb. I had braces put on at the end of my 4th grade year and had them taken off Oct of my freshman year...a loooong time.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:42 AM on Dec. 23, 2009