Naps at 8 months

How many naps should a baby at 8 months old take? I am being told that they only need 1 and no more becouse they will never sleep at night. I have a problem getting him to sleep at a normal hour its normally at 4 am we go to bed but then he seleeps for about 8 hours. Do you give them 1 or 2 or more naps during the day?

Newmommys101

Asked by Newmommys101 at 1:18 AM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mine took 2 naps at that age, of about 2 hours each and then slept 12 hours at night.

Answer by missanc at 8:57 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• It all depends on the baby how many naps they take, since you have a problem getting him to sleep at a normal hour I would do this, when he goes to bed at around 4 in the morning wake him up four hours later so around 8 a.m it maybe hard on you to cuz you will be losing sleep but it will help you in the long run, anyways, make him stay up about four hours and put him down for a nap at about noon, then let him take a 1-2 maybe 3 hour nap but I would start out 1-2 hours at first and then see how it works out, then try putting him down to sleep for night time at whatever time works for you, my boys go to bed at 8 p.m and that works for me, good luck
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:24 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• My first was taking 2 at that age (and he was a difficult sleeper). My second just went down to two now at 9 months, last month he was taking 3. They both go to bed at 9pm.

Sounds like he just has his hours messed up. Start putting him down a half an hour earlier for a few days and then another half hour earlier, etc... When is he taking his last nap that he's up until 4am?? What do you do to put him to sleep?
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:11 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• All of my kids slept more than 12 hours at that age. They still need so much sleep. You could be having a hard time because he is not getting enough sleep. I would think he would still need at least 2 naps. My daughter was taking three at that age (though the boys were down to two I think).
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:41 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• my little one was taking 2 to 3 naps a day when she was around that age. she is 18 months now and most days she stll takes 2 naps
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:32 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Every baby is different. I say watch the baby not the clock. Don't worry about schedules.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:47 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• my daughter is taking 2naps a day some time three. depends on her. but she sleeps pretty good at night time. usually she gets up at 6am and then by 9am she is taking a nap. then around 2-3. depends on the day because she does go to daycare. so it depends. but she kind of maker her own schedule. it has worked so far. good luck mama
    Anonymous