I think my son might have AUTISUM...please help

My son has alot of signs of it, but his doctor says that its too early too tell. But he is seeing a speech and OT. He has hit all of his milestones, but he just doesnt communicate...can someone please help me...could it be something i did wrong in my pregnancy...i was pretty sick...Please someone help me..

proud_mommy1322

Asked by proud_mommy1322 at 1:36 AM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Get a second opinion. Jenny McCarthy has a book out on this subject. You can give the book a preview at Boarders or Barnes and Noble. Good Luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• No, there is nothing you did wrong. There are different theories as to what causes autism, but no current research points to anything the mother did/didn't do during pregnancy or infancy. It's good that you are keeping an eye on things and getting an early start on therapies - the earlier you start, the better off he will be. My oldest has autism and at 12 years old he is a complete joy! He was diagnosed at 2 1/2. Sounds like you are probably already in touch with early intervention, but they would be the ones to do a complete evaluation and give you an actual diagnosis when the time comes.

Answer by missanc at 9:02 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I agree with missanc. Don't worry about the past, focus on getting the best therapy for your child. Keep pushing with both your doctor and your therapists to get a definitive statement as to whether or not it is autism. Autism (at least in our state) is a medical diagnosis that must come from a doctor. You may want to have your child evaluated by a developmental pediatrician who specialize in these types of things. Your pediatrician should be able to give you a referral. If you choose to read Jenny McCarthy's book, keep in mind that she isn't a doctor and her information is largely anecdotal (i.e. no scientific studies back her data...)
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 11:12 AM on Dec. 23, 2009