I think my son might have AUTISUM...please help

My son has alot of signs of it, but his doctor says that its too early too tell. But he is seeing a speech and OT. He has hit all of his milestones, but he just doesnt communicate...can someone please help me...could it be something i did wrong in my pregnancy...i was pretty sick...Please someone help me..

proud_mommy1322

Asked by proud_mommy1322 at 1:56 AM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Health

• what kinds of signs does he seem to be exhibiting? he doesn't talk at all? does he just stare off and not try to communicate at all? how does he respond to other people? most important, does he display repetitive body movements including pacing, hand flicking, twisting, spinning, rocking, or hitting oneself? these are the types of behaviors associated with Autism. here's a website that may help. it may be nothing. he may just be slow to warm up. keep with the speech and OT. it can't hurt.

http://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/understanding-autism-symptoms
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• First off NOTHING you did will cause Autism never ever think that it is your fault. Second how old is your son? I have a son with high functioning autism (Aspergers) he hit all his milestones and even at 3 years old getting a dx was very hard because he was so high functioning. Autism has many degrees and it could be that your doctors want to continue to watch his development if he is very young, just to see if he is only behind in some areas. Feel free to PM I am normally on in the morning and late evening and I am always willing to share what my experiences have been and help a mom new to this navigate it all.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:12 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Some children are delayed in speaking but are perfectly ok. I think the first PP gave you a good list of other symptoms to look for. An autistic child cannot handle levels of stimulation that are normal to other children. Usually they will not look you in the eye because even that is overstimulation. That's a big one to look for. Hope all is well!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 2:23 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I think its the parents fault , not necessarily the pregnancy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:44 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• how so anon :44?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:54 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• yes please enlighten us anon 44 I am very curious to see what discovery you have made in Autism that has eluded Scientist around the globe.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:58 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Anon :44 is retarded.

Secondly, communication isn't the only thing. My son is the third in the family and he doesn't talk much. He is in the normal range but on the low end. They do not suspect autism at all and I don't either. However, he had a tongue tie when he was born and it's stretched out now, but it delayed the beginning. So I would definitely look at other symptoms and if they match go to another doctor if necessary. I don't remember reading your sons age, but kids are diagnosed very early sometimes.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 8:13 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Don't worry yet. My son is 2 1/2 and doesn't use a lot of 'real' words. He jabbers all the time and communicates (you know what he wants, he understands you) very well.

How old is your baby? Some just take a little longer at some things. Don't worry... if Dr thinks he's ok, then don't worry!!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 9:26 AM on Dec. 23, 2009