My baby turns 1 today, and I am feeling a little sad....

This is my first child and although I am proud that both me and my baby survived the first year, I'm feeling kind of sad,because I want him to stay little forever..that is just the mama in me. lol Who else has gone through this??

Cappy1979

Asked by Cappy1979 at 5:44 AM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I know the feeling. My daughter turned one on the 9th of this month and i was kinda down, like, i did it! and i survived the first year and........thats it. It was like a big moment and yet, nothing changed. I was wanting to be able to say shes my lil baby,tbut her clothing tag say otherwise! lol. Now, shes no loner an infant or newborn, shes a toddler. I gotta shop in the toddler section! lol. I join with you in the melancholyness or survival of yr 1 of motherhood. Say hola to the rest of ur life! GOOD LUCK LADY!
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 5:48 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Awwww, I know how you mama's feel. I remember those days when my girls hit their first birthdays, and then all the other milestones in their lives. It's exciting and sad at the same time.

I don't know about you, but I know some mama's can't wait to see their baby's first smile, first tooth, first learn to crawl, then walk, then talk, etc. Before you know it, they have met all their milestones and have accomplished so much so that when they are older you wonder where the time went.

I'm saying this because, as a new Grammy, I keep telling my DD not to rush my granddaughter into doing things so quickly, to let her do them in her own time and at her own pace. I want to enjoy her as a baby for as long as reasonably possible. I don't think my DD will understand until she is a Grammy someday.

Such is the way of the heart of mama's. {{hugs}}
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:38 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Been there done that, mine are 10, 14 and 24. Take lots of pictures!
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 6:44 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Don't get me wrong, I am happy too. I was so excited for him when he was learning everything, because he pretty much did it on his own, we put a nudge here or there, but bascally it was him who did it by himself. And he always seemed one step ahead of other babies that I know of. I know I will enjoy watching him grow into a man and knowing that I had something to do with that.
    Cappy1979

Answer by Cappy1979 at 8:14 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Oh how I know the feeling! Mine is 2 1/2... it makes me SO sad!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 8:18 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I cried the morning of the kids birthday and cried when we sang happy birthday on their 1st birthday. My husband said WTH is wrong with you? It's their birthday. I said I know, I am just overwhelmed. We survived the 1st year, yay, but I don't want my babies to grow up anymore. Then my husband reminded me that around this time one year ago I was yelling at the nurse threatening to jab her in the neck with the IV needle if she missed my vein again. We laughed but I was still sad. My kids are 3 now and all I can do is sit back and look at old pictures and remember everything I conquered in those 3 years.

I'm going to be a freaking wreck the 1st day they start school.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 9:22 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Ok, get used to this. My "baby" will be 24 in March. This feeling never goes away...enjoy each moment! That is what makes life worth living.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:25 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I have felt that way...my "babies" are now 20 and 12.... There are lots of fun times ahead, too!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 12:55 PM on Dec. 23, 2009