Making Sausage and Peppers for around 20 people. How much sausage should I buy?

I was thinking 12 lbs but I am not sure how much sausage that actually adds up to. My butcher does it in ropes, not links so I can't just say "Give me three dozen links" and I am lost on how much to get! Can you help?

beckcorc

Asked by beckcorc at 8:13 AM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Food & Drink

• My guess would be about 1-2 links per person, if this is the main course(it's hard to say, because you didn't say who it will be for exactly...some men will eat probably 2, some kids may not eat any). So if you can ask the butcher how many links are in a rope, and then go from there, that would probably be your best bet. Also, the butcher is probably used to people asking how much of this should I get, to serve this many people. Good luck! ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• When I make it, I use the keilbasa sausage, usually 1-2 pkgs (14-16 oz) for 4 people, depending on how hungry we all are. I also serve it with pierogi's to extend it.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 8:19 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• My son is a meat cutter and he says 10-12 pounds of high quality sausage should be good. Maybe up to 14 pounds if it has a lot of fat.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:20 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• my family would eat at least a link per person. depends on what else you are having.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 10:18 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I made it last Christmas for diner. I also added homemade meatballs and mushrooms and did sweeet, hot and Fennel sausage and served it with a lasagna florentine done up on end to see the pretty red, white and green. The family LOVED it!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 10:20 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• The butcher can probably help you figure it out!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 12:34 PM on Dec. 23, 2009