Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what do they do next...child support

i got a letter from child support recovery and they said that they sent my ex a letter saying that if he doesnt pay up that they will take his license...well HE DOESNT HAVE ONE! He hasnt had one in like 7 i don't think he will what will they do?

Answer Question

Asked by shay1130 at 8:59 AM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

Level 27 (32,809 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • It depends on the state. When my son's father got over $1000 behind I got a letter saying all the things they would do - take his tax refund, he couldn't buy or sell a car, he couldn't get plates for a car, he couldn't keep lottery winnings, and other things.

    Answer by Gailll at 9:04 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

  • They can take his license, or they can send him jail for contempt of court. If you truly can't pay, then he should petition the courts for a reduction of support.

    Answer by missanc at 9:04 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

  • well he doesnt pay his taxes, he doesnt have a license...he is a freakin bum living off his mother!

    Answer by shay1130 at 9:06 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

  • He can pay. He is able to have a great job, making good money with his brother...and his brother can easily pay him under the table...i had some of his pay stubs and took them to court and this is why he is having to pay me the amount he is ordered. He is probably gonna lie now though and say he dont have work when he does (still with his brother)

    Answer by shay1130 at 9:09 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

  • Jail is a strong possibility

    Answer by admckenzie at 9:48 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

  • Honeslty, I wouldn't be expecting much to happen. If he doesn't work, they'll have a hard time actually tracking him down. If they put out a warrant for his arrest, they will go to whatever last address they have for him, they will put him in jail, when he posts bail you'll recieve some money. He'll have a court date, if he shows up, they''ll threaten him to pay by next court date, he may pay alittle to stop that court date, then stop paying again. With a guy like this you really should count on never getting the child support.

    Answer by robyann at 11:09 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

  • oh I just read where you said he worked for his brother.....but since this is under the table, they still have no way to track him. If you are collecting money from the state, like PA, then the state will eventually catch up with him, since they owe him. But if you aren't getting PA, they will only do so much, they aren't going to put a PI on him to track him down for you. You can get a lawyer but still they can't really make him pay consistantly. You can call the child support office every month and complain, and maybe they'll do something, but still no guareentees. If a man really is a bum and low life, irresponsible "father", you probably will never get your money. The man might eventually do some jail time but you still won't get your money. I'm sorry I don' t have more encouraging advice for you....I've been through that system over my 19 year old son. His "father" is still a bum!

    Answer by robyann at 11:14 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

  • They can arrest him and put him in jail....eventually that is probably what will happen. Maybe that will get his attention! Of course, maybe it won't. They can't keep him in jail forever, and him being in jail only gets you your money if it motivates him. Some problems really can't be solved. If people are unwilling to play by the rules and are willing to take the consequences....and he is already living the way he is.....They will do what they can, but he sounds like one of those who are less likely to find anything motivational.

    Answer by BJoan at 12:27 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

  • Jail time, most likely, but what good will that do? If he gets pressured to work a 'real' job no one will hire him with a record.

    I wouldn't count on anything hunn unless he receives some sort of winnings or surprise money that gets taxed. By the way, they don't make an absent parent pay CS if they are on disability, so if he happens to try that sometime in the future you'll know you won't get anything. BUT, they will keep tabs on what he owes so when he gets off disability he will still have to pay retroactively.

    I wish you the best.

    Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:14 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.