Christmas presents

What do you think presents should be more about,what that person DID for you that year(out of obligation or guilt),what they did for you out of love and respect,who they are as a person,or what they did for others(not you) throughout the year?Or a combo of any of these perhaps.

TMJ121099

Asked by TMJ121099 at 9:05 AM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If I went on the principle of only buying presents for people who do things for me out of the goodness of their heart my husbands entire side of the family would be out of luck and not get a single thing. They are all about what can I get in return. His parents told my dh that he owed them $2 for something that they bought one of the kids(we did not ask them to buy it... they just did). Not to mention they asked to keep the kids and then told him that they owed them... for keeping them. I am sorry if you call and ask to keep the kids for the weekend or whatever then you should not get paid and not to mention you should not be paid for keeping your grandchildren.
    SuzanneL09

Answer by SuzanneL09 at 9:58 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Out of the kindness of your heart. I pick gifts that I think the person needs or would like. I don't have strings attached to gifts - the gifts have nothing to do with what they did or didn't do.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:14 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I give them presents because I like or love them. It doesn't matter what they have done or will do for me, it's not all about me.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 9:30 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I lost my father very unexpectedly in July. It was an accidental drowning, so he was found face down in the pool. Words cannot begin to express the depth of my dispare...and now with Christmas a day away it is rough. The greatest gift I have EVER recieved is the gift of my family. They are without a doubt the best thing I could ever wish for. Their company, their love and support is all I have ever wanted or needed. Making memories with my loved ones is the thing I look forward to this year and every year. Actions speak louder than any words. It is those who are with us through thick and thin that matter...that are the truest gifts. I think this is what the Reason for the season had in mind, don't you?
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:21 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• OP here.I asked this because my family said that they are not obligated to give us gifts because the select few they chum with "have done so much for us',hinting that we haven't! I always felt that presents were like rewards for good behavior,for being a good person overall,not just for the ones that would gift us.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 10:34 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I have never thought of gifts as payment....but they are about the relationship you have with a person. I think gifts show feeling rather than being a reward for behavior. I think it sounds like your family is using this as an opportunity to be hurtful.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 12:22 PM on Dec. 23, 2009